I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Tom Thumb:
(Post Secondary)
Does that mean second grade?

Third.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
I gotta agree that living on campus completes the college experience.
I went to a local college, so to save money, I lived at home.
It was the biggest reason I hated college so much.
I missed out on a lot, and became really jaded. Also, the activities are catered to the on-campus people. I missed out on all of the senior activities because they relied on word of mouth to notify the students. I only heard last minute about the baseball game they went to, the booze cruise, etc.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
H
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
H
I'm non traditional. I worked full time for 4 years before beginning college. Now I go to school part time on top of working. I find it very enjoyable and works well into my schedule.

HondaKL -- Driving in Spandex! ::2000 Honda Civic EX:: Here for the conversation, not the car.
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by cjbaldw:
I had a mix of professors, some really good and some that were typical of what I find in academia. Those that were good (the minority I'm sorry to say), worked in the real world for a good period of time and turned to teaching because they had a passion for it, wanted to make a contribution to young people, and they were well compensated by the college, as they should be. Most of them, however, were academia types that IMHO had no place teaching students, because they had little real world experience to bring to the table, and that's what I value. I don't want to ONLY learn the accounting concepts for instance, I want to hear the professor's stories of his real world accounting experiences on the job. THAT is more valuable than the accounting concepts alone. My best finance professor owned his own financial consulting business even while he was a university professor, and always had great stories to tell and to apply to the concepts he taught, I can still remember those concepts to this day, because they were his real world experiences and they made sense when explained within the context of his real world examples. Even when I was in the engineering school, the best professors were the ones who really did work as engineers for a good length of time before returning to academia. The worst profs I had went straight through their Ph.D educations and then proceeded straight into an assistant professor and then into a full on professor position. I found these people to be very intelligent, sometimes brilliant intellectual people, with exceedingly little common sense and no real world experiences upon which to base their complex theories which held very little value to anyone who has lived outside of the world they've never left.

Just my .02...

That is practically Gospel in my book. I looking back the classes I enjoyed and learned most were from teachers that came from the real world. The ones I learned and liked least were the PHD'd that went straight into teaching.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Why are you asking? The social life of college is quite different than educational/future income reesons for attending college.

I'd be earning less than half what I make now if I didn't get my BS engineering degree. From a financial standpoint, average college educated people earn more. How much? Every study is different. Even some people in this thread say they (or someone they know) earned what they thought was good money w/o the degree, but later went back to get promoted or increase earnings even more. Get a good degree and deal with the crap/boredom/hard work. Financially, you'll be better off in the future.

Now, if you aren't happy with the current program/degree/college, change. There are a lot of options out there that can change your experience during the 4-5 years. But the sonner you are done, the sooner you go from $10/hr to $25+/hr.

Last edited by APT; 08/17/06 04:52 PM.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I was a commuter and hated college. Was working full time and school full time, living with the girlfriend. Being a commuter I know I missed out on a large part of college, but it wasn't my thing. I'm glad I'm done and don't plan on going back anytime soon.

My wife is three classes away from her masters. I told her I have no problem with her being the bread-winner!

Steve Help Support MS research 2003 SAAB 9-3 Vector 2002 Explorer Limited Former cars '98 T-Red SVT and 2000 Silver Frost SVT
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by cruises8:
I was a commuter and hated college. Was working full time and school full time, living with the girlfriend. Being a commuter I know I missed out on a large part of college, but it wasn't my thing. I'm glad I'm done and don't plan on going back anytime soon.

My wife is three classes away from her masters. I told her I have no problem with her being the bread-winner!

Kept man FTW! I need to find me a sugar-momma!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
i would work for free if it meant going back to college again.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
It took me 8 years to get my Bachelor's in the Science of Business (Business Administration). I stuck with it, working on all post Associates part time while working full time. It kept me busy and I probably missed out on some stuff, but now that I am done I don't regret any of it for a second.

I went to Community College for 3 years to get my 2 year degree and then to Emporia State University (Branch in my town) for the other 5-6.

I have looked into going for my Master's part time through Kansas University, but I think I am out of motivation for the time being. I want to enjoy my house, marriage and my new dogg.

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
IMHO, if you already have a bachelor's in business, it makes little sense to go for an MBA unless: 1) work pays for it, 2) you need it to move up the chain at work or in your industry, 3) you need it to find another job or switch careers.

For Sale: - Sony PSP with a Baseball 2k6 and the movie Crash. $100 - 1973 Karmann Ghia Convertible w/ Auto-Stick. Needs Restoration. $1200 OBO
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard