Masters in Counseling - University of St. Thomas

Major - Fraternity
Minor - Happy Hour

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I would whole heartedly agree on the argument about the best professors coming into teaching as a second career. This matches my experience completely.

99 csvt 68 cuda fastback 340 00 gp gtp (wife) 01 gs500
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by cjbaldw:

I've seen studies both ways in regard to the value of a college education. I've seen studies that show a correlation between a higher income and advanced education, particularly in professional careers of course, that require advanced education (doctors, lawyers, engineering, etc.).

You got it! Professional careers are where the payoff is. If your majoring in liberal arts I wish you luck, you will need a masters degree in order to find work and that 6yrs of education may not pay off in the end as you may well be finding your employement in retail sales or just a very low paying job.

On the other hand you take Accountants , Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, and Scientists and they are guranteed to be making good money out of college as their is a tremendous need in our society for these disciplines.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
(Post Secondary)
Does that mean second grade?

I've taken technical classes in the U.S. Navy and technical community colleges. I own my business so I don't have a need for a degree. I like being able to take time off when I need to.

C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
On the other hand you take Accountants , Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, and Scientists and they are guranteed to be making good money out of college as their is a tremendous need in our society for these disciplines.

Yep, and if you really want to cash in bigtime, combine scientific degrees with advanced business type degrees, like IP attorneys with engineering degrees for instance, that can write advanced technology patents, and the money gets disgusting, I know quite a few attorneys that specialize in high tech legalese that make seven figures every year.

Best Regards, HitchHiker 05 Altima SE-R - smoke, 6-spd - Fujita CAI Best stock times: 1/4: 14.366 @ 98.99MPH - 2.366 60 ft 1/8: 9.373 @ 79.84MPH - 2.366 60 ft
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
I loved my college experience both when I was there and looking back.

I see three keys to enjoying college
1) Live on campus at least one year. You don't get as immersed in the wonderful college life any other way.
2) Take classes and activities which will broaden your mind and your experience. It will give lifelong benefite.
3) Get involved in activities and social events. Again, it broadens your mind and is a LOT of fun. I miss my fame/notoriety I had in college.

Brad "Diva": 2004 Mazda 6s 5-door, Volcanic Red Rex: 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, Harbor Blue.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:

1) Live on campus at least one year. You don't get as immersed in the wonderful college life any other way.
2) Take classes and activities which will broaden your mind and your experience. It will give lifelong benefite.
3) Get involved in activities and social events. Again, it broadens your mind and is a LOT of fun. I miss my fame/notoriety I had in college.

Ditto

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
Originally posted by cjbaldw:

I've seen studies both ways in regard to the value of a college education. I've seen studies that show a correlation between a higher income and advanced education, particularly in professional careers of course, that require advanced education (doctors, lawyers, engineering, etc.).

You got it! Professional careers are where the payoff is. If your majoring in liberal arts I wish you luck, you will need a masters degree in order to find work and that 6yrs of education may not pay off in the end as you may well be finding your employement in retail sales or just a very low paying job.

BS my uncle got his BS in psychology and went on to make big bucks as an insurance executive. started in sales, moved over to management. now i know psyche isnt liberal studies but its nowhere near related to selling insurance. and i also know people who majored in liberal studies who make good money. i know people who passed the bar and couldnt find decent paying work. same with people who have masters in psyche and so on. some fields, especially in major cities, are over-saturated.

my brother in law is a high school grad. started as a bank teller and worked his way up quickly. by 27 he was hired at merrill lynch as a stock broker making $75k plus average of $25k in commission. he left there to go back to BofA for a more cush and higher paying job. for a few months he tried going back to school because he thought it would help him move up the ladder but became too busy with work. turns out his client skills matter much more and have moved him up very far.

my "gf" is a legal immigrant from mexico. she started at blue cross as receptionist and is now a 28yo department manager pulling in $75k a year plus 15% bonus. she is currently finishing her BS in management so she can promote to director.

and these are just two of quite a few people who moved up from the bottom quickly to make good money.

my uncle baarely passed hs and now makes about $150k+ drawing pictures for Disney, and other companies. i also know a few computer people who make big bucks and dont have degrees, just lots of experience. one of them, when i met him, was an 18yo (fresh hs grad) who was hired by Prudential to help run the IT dept, making about $80k a year, starting. he had tons of networking experience since about age 12.

fmr12b, are you a CPA? just curious...i would think so if youre making that kinda money.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by ZoomZoom Diva:

Excellent advice. Although I commuted for 1.5 years, living on campus my first two years of college definitely allowed me to network with a wonderful group of people. These networks have actually expanded since I've graduated, now that friends have roommates in town (still undergrads) that are equally awesome.

4 year B.S. in Management Information Systems at WPI in Worcester, MA. (it's pronounced "wooster" for all you nonlocals!) Had my ups and my downs, including summer courses and changing my major. About the only thing I would change was to have gotten involved in clubs. I didn't do so until my senior year and by then it was too late (since working + school = no time to begin with)!

I sorely miss the college life, though a bunch of my friends moved to the Boston area and I'm able to hang out regularly with them as well as my friends in Worcester since I essentially live in both places now. Got a good entry-level job with Fidelity Investments, which was influenced largely by project work I did with the company through my school. I plan to go back for my masters,' but am going to wait a year or so before considering it.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Rouar:

4 year B.S. in Management Information Systems at WPI in Worcester, MA. (it's pronounced "wooster" for all you nonlocals!)

I believe it's pronounced more like "Woo-stah". There is no "R" sound in New England.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard