Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#120886 07/24/02 08:02 PM
T
T
Yes you are way off.Gear cutting uses expensive equipt and materials,as you know the 'Quaife' gearsets are over $4000.Suggest you check sites that do custom gearboxes and gear cutting. wink

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
#120887 07/24/02 08:08 PM
C
C
Cool, at least we are moving into the right direction. So what are gears made out of? Some type of hardened Alloy?

As far as the cost of Quaifes gearsets... Look at what happened to the LSD for the MTX-75. Ours used to be the most expensive one to buy, but because Ford is now using it in the FR200 (?) the price is now the CHEAPEST.... Volume...granted, you arent going to see 6000 sets of Quaife gears sold a year, but is that what it takes to drop prices?

If i go to a local CNC shop, and tell him i need one piece fabbed up and that one piece costs me $500, if i go back and order 10 of the exact same thing at a later date, each one isnt going to cost me $500 individually. That just isnt the way it works, at least not the way it should work.

So what (in detail) is it that makes gears for the MTX-75 so expensive to make, compared to just about everything else out there for every other car that is machined?

Nikolas

1999 Mercury Cougar V6
KKM Intake,SVT TB, SVT Upper/Lower, 19lb injectors, Diablo Chip, MSDS Headers, Custom Exhaust, B&M Short Shifter, Progress Lowering Springs, 18" Axis TC's, OMP Strut Bar, AAM 24mm Rear Sway Bar, Koni Struts

15.09 @ 91.54(corrected, pre-SVT conversion, DiabloChip, and Injectors)
#120888 07/24/02 08:16 PM
T
T
Phone your Ford dealer and as the price for a full 'out the door' price for an MTX75 for a 2001 Focus,I have no idea where you get your 'costing' but an example of say 4 upgraded mtl diff gears from a gearcutting shop will set you back around $900.These parts are not mass produced and even mass production gear cutting is expensive.BTW all the gears in the trans are steel.Hook up with a mfg engineer on this site and visit a few shops & plants,it wont take long for you to see the costs....

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
#120889 07/24/02 08:50 PM
C
C
Cool...Just called up the local Ford, per your suggestion Terry....

Cost for a 2001 Focus MTX-75 is $2168.xx out the door.....

I figured there would be some generous markup on them as there is on just about every other Ford Part out there, but I am wrong again. I could get this same thing for $2035 wholesale, whoopty do, a savings of $130 or so. So I see your point there.

But, I would rather have discussions like this, where we actually learn something. Than having replies posted that are one liners and in some kind of riddle. Post what you know and in a way that can actually be understood and that would be much appreciated.

I want to learn as much as I can, and if someone who is in your position, can point us in the right direction, and not confuse us more, or make us frustrated, that would be helpful.

So where do we go from here? Do we just have to live with the fact that making strong transaxles is going to be an expensive thing? Or can anyone come to the rescue?

Nikolas

1999 Mercury Cougar V6
KKM Intake,SVT TB, SVT Upper/Lower, 19lb injectors, Diablo Chip, MSDS Headers, Custom Exhaust, B&M Short Shifter, Progress Lowering Springs, 18" Axis TC's, OMP Strut Bar, AAM 24mm Rear Sway Bar, Koni Struts

15.09 @ 91.54(corrected, pre-SVT conversion, DiabloChip, and Injectors)
#120890 07/24/02 09:01 PM
T
T
With respect, I'm an engineer so my replies are usually 'one liners'...care to guess how many people it takes to design,develop and bring a vehicle to production ?..so I can't cover all the aspect unless I/we write a book on the specific subject...in answer to your question it would take a lot more Contours/Cougars & 'Foci' to be racing to bring down the cost of custom gears ...'custom' is small runs or 'one offs' which cost more time and money than most are prepared to spend, either to buy or offer for sale.Supply & demand is the name of the game,without a 'production' demand the cost will always be high......

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
#120891 07/24/02 09:16 PM
S
S
Coming out of U. Rochester, and living 2 mintues from the plant on University Ave., I've had contact with some of the guys from Gleason (they make gear cutting machines).

The machines to cut precision gears are BIG!!!!! money, then there is the relativley large set up time to program in a whole new set of gears, and the cost of maintaining the cutters and all. Even though it may only take small dollars in materials, and relatively short times to cut a set - there is no way they could ever make money without charging mondo bucks for limited runs.

Rick Barnes at torsen (also in Rochester) could probably give you a good idea of how much these things run - maybe he has some contacts???

97 SE MTX, KKM, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT Flywheel, Grizzly Street Clutch, Upgraded motor mounts, mystifed precats, brand new main cat, SVT exhaust sans resonator, 205-55-15 Dunlop SP5000's

154hp / 156 tq before the SVT exhaust, SVT dual honed upper and swapping the mystery main cat for mystery precats.

My Profile
#120892 07/25/02 02:45 AM
S
S
Terry make sure you let any customers know what there getting themselves into.

You know what happened to the last customer that spent alot of money on your business :rolleyes:

BTW why is your mailbox full all of a sudden?? :p

99 SVT Tropic Green
#151 of 503/ 2760 total
Born on 10/07/98
Adopted 7/15/00
LETS GO RANGERS (looking good this year)
#120893 07/25/02 10:28 AM
T
T
You make sure you learn more about your Contour,one return job out of over 100 customers in a year, not a bad track record I'd say... wink wink

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
#120894 07/25/02 04:40 PM
I
I
Quick question, does the 2001 Focus MTX-75 have the quaffie Diff in it?

99 V6 MTX Dark Tourmaline Cougar

My Cougar
#120895 07/26/02 12:49 PM
T
T
No,not as std....

V6 MTX
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard