Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Rank Offline OP
OP Offline
R
at amsoil.com they have an airfilter made out of foam that is supposed to put k&n to shame the also have oil filters that are supposed to work better than any other out there . has anyone heard any feed back on this . when u go to amsoil home page

J
J
Yes, I have an amsoil pannel air box filter and I beat friends at the track with a similar setup to mine every time out ... they have K&N Cone and pannel filters smile

14.6 out of a 12 valve 3.0 Taurus
A wise man once said, rather then watch a girl wrestle I would rather see her box.
W
W
Mr. King I love that quote of yours! That is ****ing sweet!

1998.5 Silver Frost Contour SVT #5957 of 6535
List O Mods
PhAtRiDe
K
K
I don't have any personal experience but I am pretty sure that the foam will dry out and can break up, so I wouldn't recommend it

99 Black SE Sport V6 ATX
K&N Filter
BAT 21mm rear stabilizer bar
Planning Dual exhaust, possibly Yodude Performance.
G
G
why would foam dry out if properly oiled??? what would make it dry out vs. a cotton gauze filter not drying out?

95 contour se...dark blue...monsterflow air filter...remanuf atx...wiring harness recall or bust!!!96k miles...motorcraft awsf32pp plugs & red ford racing 9mm wires...kvr black plated cross-drilled rotors & carbon fiber pads...currently undergoing renovation...excuse our dust!!!
are my dodgers for real????
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by K'ville contour:
I don't have any personal experience but I am pretty sure that the foam will dry out and can break up, so I wouldn't recommend it
I would agree that in an open element design, the K&N would be more resistant to abrasion, etc., but I think your assertion is unfounded. Like anything else, foam comes in different grades, and barring abrasive wear, I don't see any reason why a foam filter would "dry out."

"Function before fashion."

'96 Contour SE
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by wAkEnBaKe:
Mr. King I love that quote of yours! That is ****ing sweet!
Oh man, no kidding, that's excellent!

1998 T-Red CSVT (1492 of 6535)
Born on 5/30/97
KKM
4.6L TB with custom "Throttle Optimizer"
Bassani Exhaust
NP-Tuning Sniper Intake Pipe
Fog Light Mod with 885's
Clear Corners
Stereo - Oh Yeah!

GOLIATH - RIP 6/14/02
T
T
Actually I've seen two tests where foam filters performed worse than cotton ones such as the K&N. Now mind you, they filtered better but overall airflow was less. Marginally more than a stock paper when when slightly dirty. The tests I saw were not on the Amzoil filter but something like Greddy. It was a large mushroom shaped foam filter.

R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Torquemonster:
Actually I've seen two tests where foam filters performed worse than cotton ones such as the K&N. Now mind you, they filtered better but overall airflow was less. Marginally more than a stock paper when when slightly dirty. The tests I saw were not on the Amzoil filter but something like Greddy. It was a large mushroom shaped foam filter.
I've seen those, too. Remember that these figures are per square inch, so in an open element most makers just make the foam "cone" bigger to compensate. Result is (probably) equal flow with better filtration. A winning combo, in my book.

But for a panel, or drop-in, where size is restricted, the cotton gauze is the winner.

I don't recall any "independent" tests, however. I've seen Amsoil's marketing charts, and K&N's marketing charts. Anybody have any impartial sources? I had one "independent" source rave about foam, but he never mentioned gauze, so not really a comparison.

'96 Contour SE
R
R
Quote:
Marginally more than a stock paper when
when slightly dirty.
This makes no sense to me at all. That Greddy must really suck. I sure hope my ITG is better than that!

'96 Contour SE
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard