Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Since it's my birthday, think y'all could give me a present and giving me some advice on a [nearly] new car...

I have been qualified for a $20K loan, but don't want to necessarily max that out unless the vehicle is very new and exactly what I want.

--------------------

So I got of work today at 0800 (working nights until futher notice) and went to get my international license so I don't get ticketed by French or Austrian police if I decide to drive there.

While on the way, I passed by the same black 97-01 Jeep "Classic" that has been sitting in this crappy dealer's lot for a couple weeks. Decided to check it out and noticed that it looked like it had been T-boned by a very small car at low speeds. Even though the damage looked minor, the dude inside said there was no way I could drive it due to me being too tall (6'3"). Said the seat no longer moves all the way back due to the floorboard being bent. So scratch that truck... probly a lot more tweaked than just the doors/floorpan.

Then I take a swing by the new US Spec Toyota dealer to see what the prices are on the Tacomas. Seems like they order 2 packages, the extended cab and the crew cab. Extended cabs they order are $25,000, crew cabs $30,000. Not being able to afford that, the dude points me to a 2x4 Mazda truck for "under $20K." No thanks, but he directs me to their used car lot about 3 miles down the road.

Get there and immediately see 4 vehicles that interest me. First is a 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 crew cab for $12,000. It's in real good shape, nothing seems wrong except I pointed out a vacuum leak right on top of the engine. 70,000 miles on it, and was considering it until I realized it was 2 wheel drive. No go...

Then comes the 2nd vehicle there, a 2002 Nissan Xterra. It's loaded and everything is in perfect shape... paint is a deep shiny maroon-ish color... asking $15K for it and seems in awesome shape. 2 wheel drive

Finally for the trucks, a 2001 Ford F150 crew cab. It's really loaded... has leather, sunroof, etc... but got underneath... 2 wheel drive

-------------------

Now for the final car, and the one I need some advice for. It's a 2003 Mazda Protege5. Some really catchy blue color similar to what Subaru paints the Imprezas.

It's identical to this MP3, except being a wagon and different rims:

It's all gravy, except I notice 2 things: 1) it's got 77,000 miles and 2) check engine light is on.

They are asking $9900 for it, and that includes a 1 year major component warrany (as said, they're the used car lot of a new car dealer, which is also a US spec Mazda dealer, so they should be able to service it). Says "$3000 under NADA," so I'm going to check that out.

Fully loaded... has rear privacy glass, sunroof, you know.

They say the oxygen sensor is causing the CEL, and it will be fixed before it sells.

It's well within my limits, right now I've had my SVT since Sep 2004 with a loan of $9999... it's paid down now (less than 2yrs) to $2000 with less than $200/month payments. My loan for the SVT is actually a signature loan now since the credit union frowned on my taking a car with a lien over here in case I dipped out on the payments, then they'd have to retrieve or sell the car from thousands of miles away.

Now I'm curious, this is a pretty fun looking car... think I should jump on it (drive test/full inspection pending for tomorrow)?

Since I work nights, I need to go to sleep (it's almost 1pm)... hopefully someone on here knows a bit about these? C'mon, it's my 22nd bday!!

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Ok, should mention that it's a stick... dunno what else I should be looking for yet...

Looks identical to this (maybe it does have the same rims):

Guess the Mazda forums are on the ball... think I found why it looked like it had a misfire...

Last edited by Big Daddy Kane; 07/26/06 11:18 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
Ok, should mention that it's a stick... dunno what else I should be looking for yet...

Looks identical to this (maybe it does have the same rims):

Guess the Mazda forums are on the ball... think I found why it looked like it had a misfire...

I would take one of those... Good and fairly fun cars... They are peppy, get decent gas mileage and have a lot of use because they are a wagon, but not an ugly one by all means. Go for it mang.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Yeah, I thought it was cool looking too... while I was there, 3 other people were looking at it, but I was the only one to ask for the key...

Guess I'll hit up the Mazda forums and see if they have any advice or anything...

I wouldn't mind hitting it and leaving it stock as a reliable car to go along with my SVT

Really I want it so I can have the ability to park the SVT to do some major work and still have something to drive in the meantime.

If ya saw in the Benz article, I've already been approved for a 2nd car (In Germany, the US military decided single people could only have 1 car, married 3).

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
IIRC, the Mazda makes 130hp, not too bad if you've got a stick (the auto is a dog). I've been told that turbo kits are easy to find for the P5 if you want MO POWA, and for the money, it's not a bad deal.

Funny that all the trucks over there are 2WD.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
Goat

Not bad at all... I would hop all over one of those... If I could find one here

I have seen a grand total of 1, which is a Captian and it has a very, very nice exhaust.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Happy Birthday. Only one piece of advice from me. Bring your own scanner to get the CEL code.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
Goat

I think the shipping charges from NY to Ramstein, GERMANY would be a bit prohibitive.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
IIRC, the Mazda makes 130hp, not too bad if you've got a stick (the auto is a dog). I've been told that turbo kits are easy to find for the P5 if you want MO POWA, and for the money, it's not a bad deal.

Funny that all the trucks over there are 2WD.

Yeah, back in Zetec territory again

The fuel economy and reliability factor (since it's not modded) will overcome the shortcoming in power. Plus I can haul junk in the back (which is sorta why I was looking at trucks).

Seen a couple S/C and turbo kits for these... guess the Mazdaspeed Protege helps this car's aftermarket.

Yeah, I was like WTH?!?! when I realized that every truck on their lot was a loaded 2WD model. They also had a few more SUVs (2002 Explorer, RAV4 or something, Saturn Vue) and 1 truck (late 90s S10) that I wasn't interested in, with all but a Saturn being 2WD.

I was really confuzed with the Xterra... I mean, it's all decked out for light off road use (huge roof rack, high ground clearance, big M+S tires, etc), but 2WD... whoever bought it must have been concerned with fuel economy or something.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard