Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lestro Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Hi, back with another question on a 96 contour 4 cyl zetec automatic. I've got a flex plate with the center broken out of it. How do I align it so the timing is correct? Do I find tdc and put the missing tooth on near the crankshaft position sensor? thanks

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The flex plate is on the rear of the motor and has nothing to do with timing.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
L
lestro Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Thanks for the input, but on the 96 zetec engine the crankshaft position sensor is on the rear of the engine and gets it's signal from the flywheel/flexplate. Since the flex plate has the center broken out of it I can't just put the replacement back on like it was, I want the missing tooth to align with the cks correctly. This is a major job for me and I only want to do it once.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Position the crank so cylinder 1 is on TDC on its compression stroke.

The missing tooth should then be located 90 degrees AFTER TDC (observe correct direction of engine rotation).

In other words, the missing tooth should be at the CKP sensor at 90 degrees BTDC.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
L
lestro Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Position the crank so cylinder 1 is on TDC on its compression stroke.

The missing tooth should then be located 90 degrees AFTER TDC (observe correct direction of engine rotation).

In other words, the missing tooth should be at the CKP sensor at 90 degrees BTDC.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve, but did you mean to say" in other words, the missing tooth should be at the ckp sensor at 90 degrees after tdc."?
I'm a little confused, just trying to understand.. i appreciate the help
Les

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I mean that the "missing tooth" should cross the CKP 1/4 turn BEFORE #1 cylinder is at TDC on its compression stroke.

Or, put #1 at TDC on compression stroke, then rotate the crank either by 90 degrees (1/4 revolution) backwards or forward by 1 3/4 revolution and the missing tooth should be at the CKP sensor.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
L
lestro Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
got it, thanks
Les

L
lestro Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
thanks for the help, the flex plate bolts only line up in one position

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by lestro:
thanks for the help, the flex plate bolts only line up in one position

I expected that would be the case, but I wasn't certain so I gave the failsafe method.

Glad it's worked out.

Steve

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard