Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1612777 07/19/06 12:15 AM
OP Offline
Searching yeilded no results for what I was searching for, or I wasn't configuring the search correctly. I just read a similar thread, and all that did was suggest using wd-40 or a lock lube to prolong the situation.

Mine is becoming more of the ignition needing to be replaced. If you don't tilt the keys at the right angle when you insert the keys into the igntion, they won't go in or they'll get stuck 1/4 - 1/2 way down.

Same goes for removing the keys. One must push up on the keys to remove or else the key will not even come out, or get stuck in the ignition anyway along the way.

Is there a write-up anywhere online on how to replace the ignition for the Contour, or is it just a certain part that is failing or worn that could be replaced? Is this a process that would require me to deal with the airbag, or can I just take apart the bottom of the steering column (2 screws??) and attack it that way?

Any help would be great, if theres some good info on this site, please direct me in that direction. Thanks.

95_Contour

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
I had this same problem on my car. The dealer told me to coat the key with graphite powder, then inserting it into the ignition. Repeat this a few times. Inserting the key was alot smoother. Hope that helps?

98 Black Contour SVT, #2386 of 6535 How can you live without CEG?

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard