Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mack Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Hi, I searched the forums and have not found a problem like the one I'm dealing with. Did anyone experience this problem?
I bought a 2000 Ford Contour a year ago. When I did the dip stick was originally broke inside the tube so it was replaced by the dealer with a new one. That one broke, so I now have a third, but am hesitant to put it in because it might break too.
I am wondering if I must remove the oil pan to get the remaining sticks out. Maybe that is the problem? Then I could finally get a proper read on my oil level (it always seems to read full). I don't want the stick to break a third time.
Anyone who had the same experience or know a better way to remove the remaining sticks in the tube, your help is appreicated. Thanks.

-Mack

Use the talents you possess, for the world would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang! May your life be like toilet paper, long and useful. **Happy new Contour owner July 2005**
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

Last edited by Tony2005; 07/12/06 01:20 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
Mack Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Thanks, those are helpful links.
Is there any other way I can remove the little pieces of stick from the tube (it is the bottom portions where you read the level)?
I don't really like the idea of putting superglue in there.
Thanks!

Use the talents you possess, for the world would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang! May your life be like toilet paper, long and useful. **Happy new Contour owner July 2005**
M
Mack Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Well, I had the tube removed and the ends weren't in there so they must of somehow ended up in the oil pan. They can't go anywhere from there so I will just keep changing the oil regularly.

The word "Engine Oil" on the stick is facing towards the engine for a proper fit. The other way it rattles.

The car had an oil change but still reads "Add" so whenever it is full I will have to look for the mark there. Kinda strange; it's the right stick. Oh well. At least I know it has the right amount of oil now!

Thanks everyone.

Sincerely,
Mack

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I had the handle on my dipstick break. All it takes is a pull straight up on the tube to pop it off the engine. Just make sure the O ring is still on the tube.

As far as a replacement.....superglue didn't work so I went to Autozone and got a chrome Ford 302 dipstick that was the same EXACT length as my Contours.....even read the oil level right.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard