Next Thread
Print Thread
#1606033 07/07/06 08:49 PM
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
A friend of mine broke the key off in her CSVT's ignition...
Is there a way to get it out? Dealer wants $800 to fix it.

Are the key cylinders the same as regular contours? and how hard are they to change? ive done it before in s10's but.. yea

thanks alot. mike

Mike 98.5 Black CSVT #5291 of 6535 (Oo.<xx>.oO) o xxxxxxxxx o
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
You probably have to turn it back to off/lock to take the key (remains of the key) out. The only way that I can think of is to put a dab of superglue on the end that came out. Then put it in, wait a while for it to stick to the broken end and then pull it out. It might get stuck in there but you have nothing to lose at this point.

How to change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genmods&Number=1034190&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
A friend broke the tip of the key off in my '95 Mystique ignition and I thought I would have to replace the entire cylinder as well, but after a search on Google, found a tip where I used two larger-toothed jigsaw blades with the ends grinded down by a dremel tool. Just insert the blades in each side with the teeth pointing outwards and jiggle the broken piece out. It's tricky but with patience you will get it out.

B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by billygee:
A friend broke the tip of the key off in my '95 Mystique ignition and I thought I would have to replace the entire cylinder as well, but after a search on Google, found a tip where I used two larger-toothed jigsaw blades with the ends grinded down by a dremel tool. Just insert the blades in each side with the teeth pointing outwards and jiggle the broken piece out. It's tricky but with patience you will get it out.

I should ad I meant those thin scroll saw blades are the best kind to use for this.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Tony2005:
You probably have to turn it back to off/lock to take the key (remains of the key) out. The only way that I can think of is to put a dab of superglue on the end that came out. Then put it in, wait a while for it to stick to the broken end and then pull it out. It might get stuck in there but you have nothing to lose at this point.

How to change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=genmods&Number=1034190&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

THinking the exact same thing

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard