Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I need some help/opinions on my overheating problems.My car starts to overheat and coolant rush back up to the resevior and boils out,other time my car warms up like normal but then goes to the hot side,I hear my fans come on and it usually cools it back down to normal temps,but then in a min or two it quickly goes back to hot.So on any given trip it either boils over and spills out all my coolant or runs VERY HOT all the time with brief cool downs(with the fans).There has been a couple of times when i could feel/hear the bubbling going up into the resevior when at or coming to a stop(weird? you tell me).I have flush the radiator and the block and have put fresh coolant in there.Shortly after I took it for a drive and bam! coolant all over the ground.I bought a t-stat but have not been able to put it in because those bolts holding the t-stat in the thermo housing are torqued down,and I don't have a torque wrench.I took it to a shop to see how much the would charge me to change my t-stat beczause of my lack of tools well they were gonna charge me $110 bucks, well that was out of the ?.Well when the guy came out to look at where it was located he asked me if I have seen a black deposits in the resevior.Well I have seen a little but really didn't think anything of it,He said it might be the headgasket.I don't know if he is right or not if that could even happen.So my ?/point here is what is my problem and would I be risking anything by driving it for short trips?(i.e to the shop or to buy a torque wrench)

sorry for it being soooo long but I love my baby and I don't want anything to happen to her!

99 SVT/silver frost....with "some" mods SVT FLYWHEEL 4 SALE!!! PM me
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by brandonsvt99:
...coolant rush back up to the resevior and boils out...

...So on any given trip it either boils over and spills out all my coolant...

How is the coolant boiling out or spilling out? Did you take the cap off? If you took the cap off, then put it back on. If the cap is on and the coolant is escaping, then you have a leak and you need to find it. If it is a hose, then it can be easily replaced.

I bought a t-stat but have not been able to put it in because those bolts holding the t-stat in the thermo housing are torqued down,and I don't have a torque wrench.

A t-stat will not help with a leak. And you don't use a torque wrench to remove bolts, only to put them back on. You need either a regular wrench or a breaker bar (depending on how tight the bolt is on).

I have flush the radiator and the block and have put fresh coolant in there.Shortly after I took it for a drive and bam! coolant all over the ground.

Once again it sounds like there is a leak in the system. You need to fix this ASAP (if you want to keep the car).

So my ?/point here is what is my problem and would I be risking anything by driving it for short trips?(i.e to the shop or to buy a torque wrench)

As long as the coolant temperature stays out of the red you should be fine. But if the temp goes into the red zone, then you need to pull over and stop the engine immediately (otherwise you might ruin the engine). And once again, you need a regular wrench or breaker bar to remove a bolt, not a torque wrench.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Is there any type of test I can perform to see where the leak is coming from?what hoses should I be looking at(obviously the coolant line,but what ones most important?)thanxs for the help i'm kind of a newbie at this troubleshooting stuff(pain in the arse)

99 SVT/silver frost....with "some" mods SVT FLYWHEEL 4 SALE!!! PM me

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard