Next Thread
Print Thread
#1604151 07/05/06 05:35 PM
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Ok, so here's the problem. I have an 00 Mystique V6 ATX with 140k on the clock and the CEL has been on for a while. Got the code pulled at AutoZone before and it seems to be the P0420 code which would suggest a bad cat. I've even had the occasional whiff of rotten eggs which would support that. The odd thing about it is, if I put a fuel additive in the gas tank, the light will go off? WTF?!? The first time it happened was about a year ago and I thought it was just a freak thing, but the dealership put one in cuz as a courtesy cuz they messed up something about two weeks ago and the same thing happened. The light stayed off until I went through about 2 tankfuls of gas. Would anyone still think it's the cat or could it be something else???

I live in NJ and should the gov't. decide to get back up and running, I need to get the car inspected (which includes hooking up to the diagnostic port) and I'm certain it'll fail if the CEL is on. I have an exhaust manifold with a pre-cat in it I bought off of another CEG'r used that I can get put on, but I don't want to go through the hassle if it's something else. Any ideas??

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
some fuel system cleaners will infact clean the cat, some have reported that running Berrymans through the car for a few tanks would "refresh" the pre-cats. So some here have heard of this

and your notion is right to pass emissions you will need to correct the code.

if you don't mind the ocational rotton egg smell, and it should actually go away, get a set of mil-eliminators, it will make the pre-cat codes go away and you will be able to pass emissions

but the best overall solution would be to replace the cat in question

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
To clarify a possible mistaken take on Brad's post:

the mil-eliminators will ONLY remove the CEL codes related to catalyst efficiency. It will NOT AFFECT ACTUAL emissions from the tailpipe. If your inspection locations do a code check AND a tailpipe sniffer then you can/may still fail (if in fact your catalysts are bad, and not performing correctly)

I just don't want people to think that their cats went bad and the fix is a simple mil-elim to get rid of "it all"

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
very well said, I was going on the fact that most states that have OBDII emissions testing don't also complete a sniff test, that is why I said the real correct solution to the problem is to replace the cat

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
Hi,
I personally had the P0420 code appear in my '97 Contour SE V6 3 years ago.
(On the advice here and elsewhere) - after I cleared the code (via scanner) -- I put a can of Berryman's B12 into EVERY gastank fillup for about 5 consecutive fill-ups.
The CEL never re-appeared.
Now I put a can of B12 *or* Seafoam into the gastank every second fillup.
Gerry

BTW, if you need 'instant gratification' -- then instead of 'diluting' the B12 with a full 15 gals or so of gas -- then 'introduce' the B12/Seafoam into the UIM via a length of rubber vac. tubing. Be warned tho', Seafoam tends to smoke ...whereas B12 does not.

1997 Ford Contour SE V6 K+N Michelin MXV4's 95,000 miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard