Next Thread
Print Thread
#1601536 06/29/06 10:53 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Hey guys.. I have 2 codes that I cant seem to get rid of. 1 is the p0401. Ive changed the EGR gasket, EGR valve, Ive cleaned behind the TB. What else could it be? The 2nd one is p0163. I dont know if one of my O2 sensors is bad or a Mil eliminator is bad? How could I find out and which bank is the one that needs replacement? Towards the front of the motor or rear of the motor?

Last thing. I had a mishap with a curb and I ordered a new SVT saide skirt. Well I am trying to install the new brackets that the skirt comes with since the old ones were ripped off. The pins that hold the brackets in place dont seem to work. The are too small for the holes that were already there. The old pins look melted but the same. Also the new pins have about 2 inches of a metal rod that stick out of them for some reason. Do they have to be cut? I am lost. Help me please.

99 T-RED 3L SVT Apillar Guages How-To 3L 98 CSVT SF/MB 4 SALE 7500 obo pm me
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Confirm if it is really P0163 code. You may want to scan it again (free service at Autozone or Advance).
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=10

Bank 1 is firewall side. Bank 2 is radiator side.

If the code is P0136, then chances are you got water into the mileliminator or connector for Bank 1 lower O2 sensor. Clean and dry it. Then reset the code.

As for P0401, check if the hoses for the EGR are broken. Also check the hoses which run from the exhaust to the DPFE sensor. If the hoses are fine, maybe time for a new DPFE sensor.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1014982&Forum=trouble&Words=p0401&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1014942&Search=true#Post1014982

EGR test.
Modified test for EGR (per Ray and Steve):
(remove the green vacuum hose from the top, be careful as it is brittle, and apply a vacuum (attached a small hose and suck on itl) to see if the car stumbles while running. This indicates a properly operating EGR.

Does it work properly?

NO: The EGR valve is defective or the EGR passages are clogged. Check (and clean, if needed) the passages behind the Throttle Body. Purchase a TB gasket, and remove the air plenum (rubber accordion tube) then remove the TB. Clean the EGR passage (small cut-out in the outer edge of the TB's mating surface) really well, install a new gasket and re-attach the TB. If the passages are clear, the EGR valve is defective. While rare, they do fail.

YES: The EGR valve works and the passages are clear. The likely fault is the DPFE sensor or its sample hoses, followed by the EVR solenoid or the PCM. May also be caused by interconnecting vacuum lines or electrical connections.

From Autozone,
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/1e/0900823d801bca1e.jsp

Picture from Chongo. "Did someone call me out.......LOL" Chongo.

here you go.

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/30/06 12:59 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I have the same 0401 code and replaced the DPFE sensor and it was perfect after that. I bet that is the cause

Built April 18th 1998 #5770 of 6535 Reborn: July 11, 2004 3L and gone again 12/13/2005 new ride: 98 Silver frost SVT with all my old goodies!!!!
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Not sure how old my DPFE is but I will swap it out with one I have here in my storage. Thanks for the reply it was complete. I will post any updates.

Now onto the side skirt pins?????

99 T-RED 3L SVT Apillar Guages How-To 3L 98 CSVT SF/MB 4 SALE 7500 obo pm me
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by svttour:
Hey guys.. I have 2 codes that I cant seem to get rid of. 1 is the p0401. Ive changed the EGR gasket, EGR valve, Ive cleaned behind the TB. What else could it be? The 2nd one is p0163. I dont know if one of my O2 sensors is bad or a Mil eliminator is bad? How could I find out and which bank is the one that needs replacement? Towards the front of the motor or rear of the motor?

Last thing. I had a mishap with a curb and I ordered a new SVT saide skirt. Well I am trying to install the new brackets that the skirt comes with since the old ones were ripped off. The pins that hold the brackets in place dont seem to work. The are too small for the holes that were already there. The old pins look melted but the same. Also the new pins have about 2 inches of a metal rod that stick out of them for some reason. Do they have to be cut? I am lost. Help me please.

They sound like pop rivets to me. You need a special "gun" to install them.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard