Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I still have my contour believe it or not. Ive been a long time user of the site since way back when. I havn't been activly posting or anything in a while...not time, new girlfriend, etc...

I need your help guys, last night my throttle snapped and broke off the back of my peddle rendering my car undrivable.
About an inch of cable broke off, and the small ball or thing attaching the cable to the pedel also broke off. There is no tension in the gas pedel at all.

Im just wondering do i have it towed to a dealership, or is it sound like something a mom and pop shop can do. Losing about an inch of cable, I dont think the cable would totally need to be replaced, however im no expert. What do you guys think ! Please help an old Contour lover.

Also has this happened to anyone, and how did you fix it?

-Bryan

98.5 CSVT Black #5707 of 6535 Born On 4-16-98 Flowmaster Exhaust BAT MAF Adapter W/ 9in K & N Knauberized B & M Short Throw Focus SVT Rims (Hopefully Tom.) Pioneer 7300 Head Unit
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
The instructions below should be enough for an indy to perform.

From 1996 Ford CD Manual,

Accelerator Cable
Removal and Installation

Note:
The accelerator cable assembly consists of two cables.

1. On vehicles equipped with 2.0L engine, remove one bolt and two nuts retaining engine intake air resonator to throttle body. Raise engine intake air resonator and place to the side.

2. Remove windshield washer reservoir.

3. Disconnect the accelerator cable at the throttle body throttle lever by removing clip at accelerator cable bracket and removing cable from throttle body lever or quadrant.

4. Disconnect other end of accelerator cable at traction control by removing cover and removing cable from traction control pulley.

5. Disconnect accelerator cable at accelerator pedal and shaft.

6. Remove accelerator cable from dash panel by pushing grommet and accelerator cable through to engine compartment.

7. Disconnect other end of accelerator cable at traction control by removing cable end from traction control pulley.

8. WARNING: NO SURROUNDING ENGINE COMPARTMENT COMPONENTS SUCH AS WIRING OR HOSES MAY CONTACT ANY MOVING MEMBER OF THE ACCELERATOR CONTROLS. ALL VEHICLES ARE TO BE CHECKED FOR PREVENTION OF RETURN TO IDLE MAY OCCUR DURING SLOW REMOVAL OF THE FOOT FROM THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND SHAFT STARTING AT THE FULLY DEPRESSED WIDE OPEN THROTTLE POSITION.

To install, reverse Removal procedure and perform accelerator cable adjustments.

Accelerator Pedal and Shaft
Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect accelerator cable from accelerator pedal and shaft.

2. Remove three nuts retaining accelerator pedal and shaft to dash panel.

3. Remove accelerator pedal and shaft.

4. To install, reverse Removal procedure and make sure accelerator pedal and shaft has no restrictions. Tighten to 15-20 N-m (15-20 lb-ft).

Accelerator Cable Bracket
Removal and Installation

1. On vehicles equipped with 2.0L engine, remove one bolt and two nuts retaining engine intake air resonator to throttle body. Raise engine intake air resonator and place to the side.

2. Disconnect speed control cable from throttle body lever or quadrant and accelerator cable bracket.

3. Disconnect accelerator cable from throttle body lever or quadrant.

4. Remove clip and disconnect accelerator cable from accelerator cable bracket.

5. Remove two screws retaining accelerator cable bracket to throttle body on 2.0L engine. Remove three screws retaining accelerator cable bracket to throttle body and intake manifold on 2.5L engine.

6. Remove accelerator cable bracket.

7. To install, reverse Removal procedure.

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/27/06 12:52 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard