Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BV1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
I just bought my first SVT a few days ago.

The day after I bought it the battery light came on.

I read all the forums about the mega fuse and the alternator and checked both.

The fuse was good the alternator was bad.

I used Rays write up on how to change the alternator and started yesterday at about 8 pm, by 11 pm I managed to get the old alternator out. It wasnt easy I was so pissed. Dam entensions swivel joints, exhaust burns. Took me forever to find some bolts and to let the engine cool down and let myself get cut up on all the rust etc. Needless to say I wasnt impressed.

I started on the new alternator today at around 9am. I struggled with it, I had to dremel the bracket a bit just to get it to fit in to the bracket receivers.

Finally I got it all bolted in and hooked up at 1pm. Started the car and low and behold it works.

I went in, took a shower, got changed and went to return my core alternator. I made it down the street before the @#@#$%@#$%@#$% battery light came back on. I can't... no wait... words can't express how angry I got. Really I am almost in ulcer mode, that was no easy job.

I can get warranty on the alternator.... but Im not doing this crappy job again. Im bringing it into CT tommorrow unless someone has an idea what this could be. Least I will have labour warranty.

Any idea why it blew so fast? New battery last year, holds a good charge.

Thanks,

-Steve

Last edited by BV1; 06/24/06 08:43 PM.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by BV1:
I just bought my first SVT a few days ago.

The day after I bought it the battery light came on.

New battery last year, holds a good charge.

Sounds like you knew the previous owner. Ask him/her.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
BV1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
The battery was stamped July 2005 as a manufacture date.

I guess I just got unlucky with the alternators. The thing was I was soo picky. There first one I bought had a bent shaft so I returned it, the second one made a wierd noise when it turned.

The third was was no wierd noise and a straight shaft... and then it blew.

I got to get them to these things under heavy load when testing.

-Steve

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Go to another shop to pick it up then. Sounds like they are rehashing the same item to you over and over. Heh.

98 T-Red CSVT
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by BV1:

I guess I just got unlucky with the alternators. The thing was I was soo picky. There first one I bought had a bent shaft so I returned it, the second one made a wierd noise when it turned.

-Steve

Sounds like you should do your shopping at another shop. If someone tried to sell me one with a bent shaft and another one that made noise, I'd be taking my business elsewhere. I've had my own alternator problems but that was because I was screwing around with a HO one with an out-of-state dealer.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
sorry to hear about that bud, but every time I see a post on here about alternators, its a case like this, for some odd reason alternators are hit and miss thing, 50% of the time you get a good one, and the other 50% you get one thats defective. Which is really just a waste of your time.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
B
BV1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Yeah I guess, oh well.

I was dealing with Partsource, went to 3 different ones. Geez.

I just dont want to do that job again. It really was an ackward one. Now that I know how to do it, it would be easier, but still, better design would make it alot easier.

-Steve

B
BV1 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Yeah, so on the way to CT this morning, the light shut off.

I turned aruond went home and measured it at 14.4V...

We will see how long this lasts.... .... :/

-Steve

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Maybe your battery was just low from bad alternators, I hope so!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard