Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by cannondalemtb:

I just got the car back from the shop today after getting a new clutch put in and took it to work and drove it around. I noticed a smell of oil burning but I thought it was just the oil still burning off the exhaust manifold from when I changed it. Well when I finally got home, I stopped in the driveway and realized that there was quite a bit more smoke than there should be. SO I quickly shut it off and pushed it the rest of the way down the driveway. I pulled the dipstick and there was a minimal amount on the very end of it. So I jacked it up to look underneath and turns out that the bottom bolt that holds the transmission to the engine (I believe it is, it is right next to the oil pan) is GONE! The oil was dripping from right beside it where it should be sealed tight with that bolt.

Well the mechanic will be hearing about this in the morning and towing it out of here. It is one thing to miss a screw on the door panel or under the dash but a freakin bolt like that!? Come on!

I sure hope the engine isn't ruined. I will just be without a car yet again...

This is the same mechanic that almost killed my son and I last year. Changed a wheel bearing and the next day after I picked it up the wheel fell off after shearing through 3 studs. (Luckily happened in a parking lot) They hadn't done anything more than finger tighten the lugs nuts.

The guy is so nice and honest and cheap. He only charged me $25 for all of the testing (I don't know how much was TRULY done...) on my 'Tour, supposedly 2 days worth... I think he has some dumba$$es working for him. He needs to do more checking and double checking, etc. He has already lost at least 2 families. It's just too many stupid mistakes. This is 2 biggie mistakes in less than a year. (Just for the curious cannondalemtb is my younger brother-in-law)

Also, I picked up my truck from getting the new gas tank, fuel sender etc. yesterday from the same shop. Got it home without any troubles (WOW it is hard to get used to a clutch again, REV city... It's been more than 2 months since I drove my car, my wife's van is ATX.) I vacuumed it out, and popped the hood to take a look around. I find a huge flat head screwdriver just sitting there in the engine bay. Like 18 inches long. It COULD be the former owner's, but I doubt it. I'm glad it didn't fall into the engine and hit a fan or a belt or something! Oops tangent...

Anyway, so the question is... What should cannondalemtb and his father make this mechanic do? He will come tow it back to his shop, fix the leak... But it was driven for a while with little or no oil.

What are the potential problems from this? The engine did NOT seize. What needs to be checked? Or should we just tell him to get a 3L and drop it in gratis? (JK) Is there any way to assess any potential damage from this?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M
i'd do a compression test to see if the rings got trashed... other than that, i'm not sure what you can find out without pulling it apart.

if there was oil still on the dipstick, chances are, it will be fine imo....

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Agreed, especially if it wasn't driven too long.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by getsum111:
Agreed, especially if it wasn't driven too long.

Well that is good to hear. I think in total he drove maybe 20 miles yesterday. That was picking the car up, going to work and back. Was the bolt in there but not tight and vibrated out then the oil started leaking? Who knows.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Well it wasn't drivin with NO oil. There was a little left in it when i checked it and now that it is daylight, you can see a small trail coming into the driveway and then a spot where it leaked while it was first sittin there and then a small one where it sat for the night. So there was still some in it when it made it home. And it was only about 20-25 miles.

It got towed this morning at about 8:30. So we'll see what happens...

1998 Silver Frost CSVT #4427 of 6535 Born January 15, 1998 AIM: cannondale828
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Good luck getting this fixed and hopefully no permanent damage.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Did you ever see an oil pressure warning light come on?

Did you hear any knocking on the drive home? (as in, rod knock?)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Light never came on and I did not hear any knocking.

I was just over a friend's house that I had stopped at last night and there is a good sized spot in his driveway too.

1998 Silver Frost CSVT #4427 of 6535 Born January 15, 1998 AIM: cannondale828
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
It is a good thing that your commute isn't any longer! That could have been bad.

Sounds like there was still some oil left when you got home. Hopefully everything is okay.

Steve Help Support MS research 2003 SAAB 9-3 Vector 2002 Explorer Limited Former cars '98 T-Red SVT and 2000 Silver Frost SVT
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Kinda happened to me too last week drove home from FORD and by the time i got home i had seized my engine. the oil light started flickering, very faintly, it was sunny so i think i only noticed it after a little while i only drove for about 10 mins. and now the engine is toast. the car was fine when i brought it to ford to get the battery and cable replaced. but theres still oil in the engine

1998 Ford Contour Se 2.5 litre Silver frost
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard