Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Hi, I recently bought the BAT replacement pump motor as my fuel pump is succumbing to the sock filter sickness (stumbles and or dies below 1/4 tank).

Anyway, I read the how to and had a couple clarification questions:

1) when removing the locking ring by tapping, are you actually BENDING the tabs up, or simply rotating the ring under them to free it?

2) If I am only replacing the pump motor (btw, how tough is that to do?) do i reuse the seal? Is that a good idea?

3) How should i clean up the tabs ive cut into the pan to access the pump. Should I paint them? Use electrical tape? etc to keep them from rusting/allowing water in.

4) (half serious question), how do you do all this without blowing yourself up?

Thanks.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
1) You just rotate the ring - don't bend anything...I find that I need to move around the ring and alternate where I hit the ring to distribute the abuse.
2) Reuse the gasket/ring (I don't knwo where you get a new one from without paying through the ass)
3) Nothing required here; if there was water there your rear seat would always be saturated.
4) Try not to smoke or use a welder!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
T
Thanks!

I don't smoke, but it's tough to resist the burning urge to weld.

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
1) See Stazi above
2) Reuse the locking ring, I'd get another gasket though, it's ~$9 from Bill Jenkins...
3) I just spray-painted mine with rust-o-leum (spelling?) paint, it's worked for almost a year with no problems including a winter. Besides, it's under the seat!
4) Don't be an idoit.

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
Y
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Y
let us know how you make out with this !

i am still holding off as i have read the "panel/port" does not line up in the 99 car's with the returnless pumps . therefore , i would need metal snips to pry back the floor in-order to axis the pump .
i have also been told by garages and the Ford Dealer that the GAS TANK MUST BE LOWERED to perform the switch ! this of-course is added labour time so i am still debating as to whether i should believe this or try to switch it out through the rear seat & risk damaging the pump & having to get a tow to the dealership !

anyways , very interested to hear about it ; Cheers !

also , couldn't us ppl who have to do this just cut-off the sock & re-install the stock pump ?

T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Switching it out through the rear seat will not damange the pump. The hardest thing about the fuel pump is getting the fuel line off of the connection, it's a [censored] and a hald, no way around that. HOWEVER, you will notice an increase in road noise. This is because the rubber cover no longer fits in place. I solved this problem by covering the hole with layers of duct tape, not the grandest solution, but hey, it's under the seat!

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I have never agreed with removing the pump through the floor. The correct procedure from ford is to lower the tank, and it isnt that hard. Also, if you buy the pump from ford, it is a redesigned housing and pump, eliminates the tiny sock that clogs. It mounts from the ring, not from the floor of the tank. (It is similar to the focus style) I changed mine (with the tank dropped!) and have had no problems since. The previous owner had changed the pump and sock at 43,000, and when I hit 44,500 the sock was already clogged, but he cut the floor.

Heres what I noticed when I dropped the tank. The filler seats into the tank, and there is a rubber gasket. On the filler, there is a sleeve that stops the filler on the tank. Mine was slightly bent, and when I pulled it out it was dirty, and the gasket was dirty. I think the problem is that the filler isn't seated properly on the gasket, and allows dirt to get in. This clogs the sock, the same problem everyone has. I wouldnt be suprised if the common problem isnt the sock, but the filler gasket.

And by the way, when the tank was out, I welded the floor back up, primed and painted it body color, and will always drop the tank from now on.

00 SVT #985 Silver Frost 89 Mustang GT TT -410.6hp/460.7trq (couldnt pull past 5k-lean) 12.77 @106 Before turbos, 12.82 @120.12 With them -95 Contour GL, 140K FREE! -WPI FSAE 05'-06', build a race car, get school credit
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I just did this two days ago and swapped in a fsvt pump. Changing just the pump itself is not bad, the only thing you may not have is a tiny torx bit to take the screws out to disassemble. I didnt feel like going to the store so I used the dremel to slot the torx heads to accept a regular screwdriver.

-Adam- 2k Silver Frost #939 - 36K Miles H&R + Koni + Mirko + Elky Mesh + Hella Optilux + K&N + LoTek + Mille Miglia EVO 17" + ADC T-28 Turbo + Magnaflow 3" S.S. + exhaust leaks + CEL light + more to come...
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SHOgoFast:
Changing just the pump itself is not bad, the only thing you may not have is a tiny torx bit to take the screws out to disassemble. I didnt feel like going to the store so I used the dremel to slot the torx heads to accept a regular screwdriver.

Using Vice Grips VERY gently also works very easily. It should also be noted that these torx screws are on the FSVT pump housing, so destroying them really isn't a tragedy.

Originally posted by turbo_fox:
And by the way, when the tank was out, I welded the floor back up, primed and painted it body color, and will always drop the tank from now on.

There's nothing wrong with doing it either way. It's just that 99% of us don't have the ability, time or additional help to drop the tank.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Tisby:
There's nothing wrong with doing it either way. It's just that 99% of us don't have the ability, time or additional help to drop the tank.

Im not saying there is something wrong with it, I just don't like doing things that way. The proper way is to drop the tank, besides, now my rubber boot fits nice and snug. And if i hadn't dropped the tank, I would have never discovered the filler not sealed well. I would bet that the reason so many people have dirty socks is because the filler isn't seated in the gasket all the way. How many people have taken the pump out more than once to fix this? I bet it takes less time to drop the tank once than the other way over and over.

00 SVT #985 Silver Frost 89 Mustang GT TT -410.6hp/460.7trq (couldnt pull past 5k-lean) 12.77 @106 Before turbos, 12.82 @120.12 With them -95 Contour GL, 140K FREE! -WPI FSAE 05'-06', build a race car, get school credit
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard