Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by yellowalfa:
...now I've put on mileliminators, thinking that it would fix the problem, but when I started the car, the check engine light is still on. I haven't had the code read to see if it is still P0420, but before that code there was no check engine light and it's never had a problem before, so... I was just wondering if the P0420 code could still be coming up because one of the oxygen sensors was bad?...

If you disconnected the battery while installing the mileliminators, all previous codes should have been erased. Incidentally, what type of mileliminators did you install? And did you install them correctly? Scan for the CEL code(s) and then you (and we) will have a better idea what the problem is. Right now, it is only a guess, broken connection, installed incorrectly, other codes not related to precats......

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:
...I have no idea what was in the mind of the engineers when they put the downstream oxygen sensors (cat monitor sensors) in front of the main cat. It is a mystery to me.....

I can speculate.

If the downstream O2 sensor is behind (after) the main cat, then if you get a P0420 code, you can't determine if it is a bad Bank 1 precat, Bank 2 precat or Main cat issue. You have to change all three to fix the problem.

The way it is designed now, you can determine if it is Bank 1 or Bank 2 precat going bad. Being able to determine 2 out of 3 isn't too bad.

Of course, the problem would be solved if they had 2 precats and 2 "main" cats.

Then, with an upper O2 sensor being above the Bank 1 precat and a lower O2 sensor being below the Bank 1 main cat, if the code shows up, this bank needs a new precat and main cat. ditto for Bank 2.

I'm sure an additional main cat, piping and flex pipe would cost a little too much for it to be acceptable to the accountants at Ford.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
so driving around with that code isnt a problem if you dont have emissions.. or can it cause damage to the engine?

Mark 1998 T-Red SVT -Needs more Go 1999 Light Prairie Tan, Se Zetec www.cardomain.com/id/tour4reak
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Tour4reak:
so driving around with that code isnt a problem if you dont have emissions.. or can it cause damage to the engine?

Depends on what the reason(s) is/are for the code.

�· Malfunctioning ECT/CHT
�· High fuel pressure
�· Damaged exhaust manifold
�· Cylinder misfiring
�· HO2S wiring concerns (shorted or chafed, bent pins, etc.)
�· Damaged exhaust system pipe
�· Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly
�· Retarded spark timing

Damaged Catalytic Converter:
�· Use of leaded fuel
�· Oil contamination/consumption
�· Silicone contamination (sealants/cleaners)

If it is from the first 8, then it could cause damage to the engine. If it is because of a damaged precatalytic converter, then, no, it shouldn't cause problems to the engine (unless the precats get plugged).

Of course, if you have a Check Engine Light on, you don't know if it is only for the P0420/P0430 or if there are other codes too unless you scan it on a regular basis (maybe everyday and having that yellow Check Engine Light on is distracting and annoying).

Last edited by Tony2005; 06/07/06 03:05 AM.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
i checked the code on monday it was for p420.. exhaust is fine.. motorcraft plugs Ford racing wires.. (less than 2 months old). car might burn a little oil (muffler tips are black) no blue smoke comes outta my exhaust when i'm driving. or it could be carbon buring up..

Mark 1998 T-Red SVT -Needs more Go 1999 Light Prairie Tan, Se Zetec www.cardomain.com/id/tour4reak
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
If you are out of the 8 year/80k mile warranty, then I would suggest clearing the code and see if it comes back. If it comes back, I would suggest trying Berrymans B12 fix. If that doesn't work, then mileliminators.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Tony2005:
If you are out of the 8 year/80k mile warranty, then I would suggest clearing the code and see if it comes back. If it comes back, I would suggest trying Berrymans B12 fix. If that doesn't work, then mileliminators.

yea I'm outta the warranty (131k) it keeps coming on.. I'm just wondering if its gonna damage my engine..

W
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
W
I managed to buy a used exhaust manifold with the pre-cat installed in it off of another CEG'er. Does anyone have a pic of what it should look like for the firewall side of the engine??? I don't want my cousin to help me take it apart only to realize we have the wrong part. LOL

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the rear manifold is the same for all years, it is the one that doesn't look like a L and only has a bung for an O2 sensor as the cat monitor sensor is located on the y-pipe

I can provide a photo of a msds header for the one in question later tonight ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the rear exhaust manifold next to the firewall should look something like this:

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard