Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1583675 06/03/06 07:42 AM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
I have 95 contour,4 cylinder. When I turn a/c on I get a noise. I have been told this could be serpentine belt..Does this sound reasonable and replacement of the belt $110 is about right? When I press brake and car is in drive and almost stationary I get what appears to be vibration of the engine as it appears to be struggling (fine once I drive a bit faster). I was thinking replacing spark plugs..Anyone know the spark plug gap & what size socket I would need?

Thanks.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Sometimes, the compressor might be noisy, or the belt slips, or the compressor clutch slips. Can you describe the noise?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"I have 95 contour,4 cylinder. When I turn a/c on I get a noise. I have been told this could be serpentine belt.."
What noise is it? When the A/c is on, it does cause a noise. Is it squeeling? Then yes, maybe it is the belt.

"When I press brake and car is in drive and almost stationary I get what appears to be vibration of the engine as it appears to be struggling (fine once I drive a bit faster)."
Probably broken engine/tranny mount.

"I was thinking replacing spark plugs."
This could help with vibrations too if the spark plugs have not been changed for 60k miles or so.

"Anyone know the spark plug gap"
0.050 inch for 4 cylinder.

"what size socket I would need?"
Get spark plug socket from Autozone or Advance.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
My mechanic says it's the tensioner for serpentime belt. I figure If I am going to replace the tensioner, might as well replace the belt. I have been quoted $320 + taxes...is this a fair price for this job parts & labour?

Thanks.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by jungloford:
My mechanic says it's the tensioner for serpentime belt. I figure If I am going to replace the tensioner, might as well replace the belt. I have been quoted $320 + taxes...is this a fair price for this job parts & labour?

Thanks.

OUCH!!!

Parts at a Ford dealer would be around $125 list price. Around $80 aftermarket.

The actual labor should be less than an hour, this ain't complicated. Figure $90/hr.

Find a different mechanic....

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
W
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
W
Quote:

I have been quoted $320 +

Dollars? ... "American"? Yeah, you definitely need to find another Mech, or learn some "Skilz"...

'97 Mercury Mystique Zetec/ATX (Wife's) '96 Ducati 900SS (Mine!) '86 Toyota P/U (it gets the bike to the track...)
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
Canadian dollars. Anyone tell me how I can get at the tensioner to see if infact it is damaged? I am beginning to have doubts about the honesty in the diagnosis of this mechanic..as I called the dealer and they quoted 165 over the phone for the same job.

J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
is the tensioner & ideler associated with serpentine belt the same thing? Is the ideler much more expensive to replace then the tensioner?

F
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
F
No, not the same thing. The Idler is just a pully that does just that...Idles. Has no purpose other than to give the belt someting to go on. The tensior sits below the idler, and I an arm that you can loose up with a ratchet so the belt will slip off.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard