Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Just got the first door ding on my 99 SVT â??Evil Twin.â? 12 year old daughter hit it with her bike trying to ride between the cars. Aaargh!

I found it hard to get a good picture of the door ding even though itâ??s easy to see in person. Itâ??s in the center of the panel in front of the door handle.

I think it might be a good candidate for paint-less dent removal.

Thereâ??s an opportunity here I want to take advantage of. Whatâ??s the best way to get started in PDR? Not as a business! As hobby / personal use. I have several other cars with dings and such I could practice with before fixing my SVT.

Whatâ??s the best tool kit to buy, and light source and educational video and such?

Anyone here do this professionally and thinking about getting out, selling their tools and such?

All the cars I drive eventually seem to acquire a collection of minor body damage like this â??? it would be great to be able to routinely remove such things myself whenever I wanted.

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
hey!..IM evil twin!! jeez haha

but believe it or not, the "Ding King" actually works pretty well. i had a decent sized ding on my door and after a few attempts with the ding king, i can barely see it now!

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:

but believe it or not, the "Ding King" actually works pretty well. i had a decent sized ding on my door and after a few attempts with the ding king, i can barely see it now!

Ding King ?? Hmmm...

98 T-Red CSVT
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by muskamike:
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:

Ding King ?? Hmmm...

I'll pass. I'm thinking more along the line of tools used to "massage" the dent out from behind the panel, reading the metal with a special light. Anyone have experience with this?

99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 20K miles, "Nice Twin" (factory stock). 99 Tropic Green SVT, Tan Leather, 28K miles, "Evil Twin" (Turbo AER 3L and more in progress) 96 Red LX, Opal Grey Leather 2.5L, ATX, 22K miles
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
That will definately come out with a nice PDR...A friend of mine (dent guy) at the dealership i work at took all my dents out (6 or 7) for 50 bucks and it looks like they were never there...Had a bunch of those special tools and that light and did it. If you have a Dent Devil or some place like that they'll also do it for pretty cheap...It'll be an easy fix. At least she had grips on the bike so it didnt hit the car with a metal handle bar!!!

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
from what i have heard and seen, it is not as easy as you think it is to do.
the guy who pulled dents at SZ has been doing it for over 12 years.
and if you saw the amount of different spoons he had!
also, as far as i know and have researched, there isnt a 'special' light required, they will use a light up real close to help illuminate the panel.

i have thought about getting into this as both hobby and profession, the kits are very very expensive.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by owen_SVT:
At least she had grips on the bike so it didnt hit the car with a metal handle bar!!!

I also had the car cover back over it - which is probably why she felt so comfortable riding close to it.

People do things with a covered car that they would never do otherwise, like stack boxes of junk or tools on it, or lean things against it. How many guys you know have a classic Corvette or Mustang or something in their garage under a cover with mounds of stuff stacked on the hood and roof?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I have the Ding King and it does a decent job removing dings just like that. It should greatly reduce it but it won't be perfect unless you get the good tools. I also looked in to the tools and they are expensive. Here is the tool page for the Ding King It would be worth the $20 for the puller but not sure if it is worth buying other tools because you probably need them all to do a good job.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
J
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Tea-Bagg:
from what i have heard and seen, it is not as easy as you think it is to do.
the guy who pulled dents at SZ has been doing it for over 12 years.
and if you saw the amount of different spoons he had!
also, as far as i know and have researched, there isnt a 'special' light required, they will use a light up real close to help illuminate the panel.

i have thought about getting into this as both hobby and profession, the kits are very very expensive.

Yes, I am sure you're right about that. On the other hand, most of the guys on CEG who work on their cars have already mastered some difficult and somewhat unusual skills.

When I was younger I used to be heavily into auto body as a hobby (I still have all the tools). Everything from collision and rust repair to applying show quality (really show quality) base coat/clear coat finishes. The last time I painted a complete car was in 2002, so it has not been that long ago. I used an HVLP system I purchased from TiP.

I think PDR is a learned skill that I can become adequate with after some practice.

The tools are really expensive (why?) and I'm going to keep my eye out for a quality used set.

But what makes a quality set of PDR tools? What should I look for? What should I avoid?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by JEDsContour:

People do things with a covered car that they would never do otherwise, like stack boxes of junk or tools on it, or lean things against it. How many guys you know have a classic Corvette or Mustang or something in their garage under a cover with mounds of stuff stacked on the hood and roof?

we are quilty of that, we don't leave anything heavy on the cars, mostly rags, etc, but we do oftern set things down on them, but that was before the garage was cleaned and adjusted so that we could actually use it, so that hasn't happened recently ....

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard