Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Ok guys heres the story so please bare with me here... I really need help and opinions... Since the day i bought this car (1998 svt contour 50k when purchased) i've had two cels... p0172 and p0175... i know what they are and have since spent no joke about 2k in parts and some labor in tryin to fix this problem... i only passed the last two inspections/emmisions out of luck... Ok so i've now replaced everything u can think of... My friend that works on my car when i dont feel like doing the work my self talked to some friends at ford and all of them think it could be some bug in the computer or something... Now new from ford i believe these to be like 2g's so i really dont wanna do this unless i know its the problem... BTW car runs great and i've been driving it for alittle over a year now trouble free... I've put a good 17k on it i'd say since i bought it, it does city driving fine and i've even drove it 1100 miles one way with no problems acouple of times... i drive it about 500 miles a week with no problems... btw my gas milage on highway seems alittle lower then what i've read here... btw i never put anything but 93 in the tank... I figured i'd ask one more time here and maybe get somemore ideas... Below is a list of things i've replaced... im prolly gunna forget some cuz this list just keeps on growing and growing day by day... If this problem isnt fixed by next inspection im trading the car in cuz i ant dealin with this every year tryin to get it to pass...

- just put a brand new stright from ford maf on the car... finally thought i found the problem but once again wasnt it
- new air filter
- new fuel filter
- new plugs gapped correctly
- new plug wires
- cleaned and put new gaskets on both the upper and lower intake manifolds
- new pcv valve i think it was called... been awhile sorry
- new fuel pressure regulator
- new o rings on all injectors... thought maybe one was leaking but nope
- all 4 brand new o2 sensors
- cant find any vac leaks have looked 100 times
- fuel pressure has been checked and looked ok so no need for a new pump
- new alt non related
- new belts non related
- new water pump non related

i think thats all i can remember for now i'll add to this if i think of more... please any help here would be great as i could use all opinions cuz im at the end of my rope with this cel problem... i love the car and it runs great but in pa this just is a headake every year and not worth it anymore unless i can fix it...

thanks
jason

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/30/06 07:58 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
When i bought the car i had some sort of aftermarket maf on the car... i cleaned that and the light stayed on... I then got on here and bought a stock used maf... Cleaned that and put it on... Then the garage thought that maybe this could still be my problem so i bought a BRAND NEW one from ford... Theres no need to clean a brand new one... any other ideas???

jason

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
At any point in this adventure, did you follow the diagnostic procedure in the PC/ED?

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
do u mean the steps/cycles that it says in the book ford has on how to get the codes to show up on the scanner??? like u reset everything and run it through cycles to try and see what all is wrong with the car through the scanner??? if thats what u mean here then yes i did this over and over and over... i payed a garage 65 an hour to do this and they drove it over 100 miles once using my gas too... n its been done several times, pretty much each time i installed something new i reset everything and took it too them to see what they could find out... let me know if thats what u mean...

jason

J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
wait i just read this again... or do u mean the steps that should be takin to fix this problem??? if so yes... i've done pretty much everything it says... we now have no clue really...

jason

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Too rich on both banks.

Since the O2's are good - it's running too rich!

This can be caused by:
  • MAF
  • Fuel pressure
  • Non-standard parts
  • Mechanical problems

It would help to know under what circumstances the problem crops up.

Are the correct injectors installed?
Was the fuel pressure measured under load?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
fuel pressure has been measured both sitting and under load, there are no aftermarket parts... i just put new o rings on the injectors n they are all stock and not leaking a drop... i really cant tell u when the problem happens cuz as i can tell there is no problem... car runs great...

jason

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
What are your actual fuel pressure readings (in psi), both KOEO and KOER?

What are your long-term fuel trim PIDs for both banks 1 & 2?

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
let me go through my paper work and i'll get back to u with some numbers

jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard