Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
So I used the A/C for the first real time today. It worked, but wasn't very cold... Anyways, halfway home, at
a stoplight, it just cut out. Dead - nothing. No compressor, no nuthin.

I get home, and put a can of refrigerant in it. Take it for a drive, and the A/C is ice cold! Then I get to another stoplight, and - bam. Compressor's dead again, AC doesn't work.

As a side note, it did this last year, once in a while, usually only in hot weather during stop and go traffic, and the A/C would work again once I got up to speed for a while.

So, here's an observation I had in the driveway - anytime I apply throttle at idle, even just a tiny bit, the compressor cuts out. Does anyone know if it's
supposed to do that? The GM systems I've worked on definitely DON'T do that, and I'm not sure if Fords are supposed to or not. Then I'm thinking - maybe it's a bad throttle position sensor? I disconnected it, and the compressor doesn't instantly cut out when I give it
throttle. I know on some GM systems, there's a WOT (wide open throttle) cutout, so I figure that maybe the TPS is intermittently sending a WOT signal just off idle, or at idle (when the compressor refuses to run at all).

I checked the TPS with an ohm-meter, and it seems like it's ok, though. But it sounds like a good theory. Any other ideas out there? The Haynes repair manual I have doesn't offer any advice for A/C systems.

Thanks!

-- Scott

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
A/c pressure switch maybe?
This is an a/c site you can post to try and get their help.
http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=2

Also read this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1188779&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Originally posted by projectSHO89:
If the compressor clutch is short-cycling the switch is fine. The refrigerant is just low. Whent he cycling switch fails, it usually causes a no-engagement condition.

With the system OFF, underhood temp at around 60-80F, you should show around 70 psi or so (static pressure). This pressure changes with the ambient, so it will be hight if the under-hood area is hot or lower if it's cold.

Steve

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/26/06 12:19 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by scsulliv:

So, here's an observation I had in the driveway - anytime I apply throttle at idle, even just a tiny bit, the compressor cuts out. Does anyone know if it's
supposed to do that?

Thanks!

-- Scott

As strange as it may seem, that is an intentional design feature for at least the early SVT Contours. Mine does it too. I remember reading either a TSB or a SSM (special service message) about this when mine was two or three years old. It is a performance intended design feature to provide better acceleration from a stop with the A/C on. The A/C clutch engages again at something like 5 mph.

No, this is not a normal Ford design feature.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Big Jim:

supposed to do that?

Thanks!

-- Scott

As strange as it may seem, that is an intentional design feature for at least the early SVT Contours. Mine does it too. I remember reading either a TSB or a SSM (special service message) about this when mine was two or three years old. It is a performance intended design feature to provide better acceleration from a stop with the A/C on. The A/C clutch engages again at something like 5 mph.

I thought that was supposed to be only under WOT. I know that is how mine works. Shuts off totally until I ease off the gas a tiny bit. All other times, it's on.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
check the pressure, if the pressure is to low the compressor will not turn on. if you filled the system, which with one can I don't think that you did, and it leaked out that fast you have a major leak

I may suggest checking the dryer for rust

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

supposed to do that?

Thanks!

-- Scott

I thought that was supposed to be only under WOT. I know that is how mine works. Shuts off totally until I ease off the gas a tiny bit. All other times, it's on.

That might also be true, but at least the early SVT's also shut off the A/C as soon as you start to throttle up until slightly up to speed. I know it is unusual. I get some A/C clutch noise from this as well.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B

supposed to do that?

Thanks!

-- Scott

my dodge ram ss/t also has this feature - could be that

EGPLNT:MY 95' SE MTX SVT *200,000 MILE CLUB* 6/06/06 - 201,000 MILES
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I'm guessing this will fix your problem...

I had the same problem, cold air until the car got hot and then no cold air again until some time had passed. I fixed this problem two days ago. First I had the the system evacuated and recharged which did not fix the problem but was probably money well spent considering my A/C had never been serviced at all - 1998 Contour SVT with 108k miles.

To fix the problem I simply had to adjust the air gap between the clutch and the pulley. As the clutch wears the gap gets larger than spec and when hot the coil cannot pull the clutch in to engage the compressor. A simple test is to bang on the clutch with something when the A/C switch is on and the revs are elevated because the ECU thinks the compressor should be running. When I did this my clutch immediately sprang into action and the compressor ran.

This guy put up a nice how-to (for a Saab but the Contour A/C clutch looks exactly the same but with smaller shims) with good pictures and an explanation.

http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/ventilation/airconclutch.html

On my car there was only one shim on the compressor shaft so I filed it until it was about half its orginal thickness and the gap was in spec. Spec is .014 - .033 I have run my car for hours with the A/C on in the last couple of days and it works perfectly.

I searched the forums for a solution to this problem and the closest I found was someone who replaced the clutch (in doing so he corrected the air gap which is probably all he needed to do in the first place, my clutch has plenty of meat left on it after 108k miles), I really think this should be a sticky because a lot of users seem to have this same issue. It can be fixed easily for free and about 45 minutes of your time.

1998 CSVT

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard