Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1575009 05/22/06 01:56 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive OBD II reader for my '99 SVT. It should be able to reset the "Check Engine" light. I have a laptop available if that would save me some money.

I'm not much of a mechanic but I'm thinking that I will save enough with just one or two uses. Is that correct or am I way off base. TIA.

Luke Miller

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Armed with the codes at hand, you can diagnose and narrow down problems to AT LEAST the proper AREA of the engine. not having to purchase parts "willy-nilly" and toss them at the problem HOPING it will help is BOUND to be cheaper!

Using a laptop, you can use Alex Pepper's OBD-II software (google it) by purchasing only an adapter and the software itself.

That would be MY personal choice over an actual OBD-II reader as Pepper's software allows tons more things!

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
I use a Matco 9620 OBD-II code reader. It's FANTASTIC!

They are about $400 new ...but are also on ebay for a lot less.

Just remember ...when you clear a CEL ...you ALSO set all the emissions-related 'readiness monitors' to OFF -- and thus, you will FAIL a state inspection because the car will be -- yes u guessed it -- "not ready".

The car needs to go thru' a series of 'drive cycles' before all readiness monitors become 'set'. You run the risk, thus, of a recurring CEL as these readiness monitors are being set during said drive cycles.

G.

1997 Ford Contour SE V6 K+N Michelin MXV4's 95,000 miles
S
S
I bought an Auto tap brand scanner (software for laptop with adapter). Nice setup, does everything that I can think of, cost---->199.95+99.95 for Ford Enhanced data. The only thing I do not like about it is it does not tell you what parameters the sensors SHOULD read, only displays what they are. Take a look at www.Autotap.com

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by SaturnLvr:
... The only thing I do not like about it is it does not tell you what parameters the sensors SHOULD read, only displays what they are. ...

Some are available from Autozone.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/ca/83/0900823d801bca83.jsp

A Ford CD manual should have the parameters. Get from CEGer Todras.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=1049&Number=1237113&Board=trouble&what=showflat&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=6&vc=1

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
I've used one of these for about 3 years now, its fairly cheap and I use a cheap laptop with it. I haven't seen any of other laptop types so I can't compare it with them, but this beats the handheld code-only type of readers.

Linky

Doug '96 Contour ZETEC T-Red/ATX

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard