Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
installed headers, mil eliminators, and egr extension because they are weapon r headers.
Went to start it up and it revs to 2000-2500 then lowers till 250 then shoots back up, keeps doing this till the engine dies. Please any one have any ideas, i need to get this thing running.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
checked everything and i could hearsome type of leak from the upper intake manifold. We were using starting fluid to check for a vaccum leak. When it was sprayed at the area we thought was leaking on the uim the idle would jump up. once it idled rough for a while i felt i could take it for a drive to see if that would help. A short 5 min drive seems to have fix the problem. But it is very weird that there is a leak in the uim when i didn't change it at all.

The car has 32,500 miles so there shouldn't be any leaks???

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BlackE1:
We were using starting fluid to check for a vaccum leak.

OMG !!!

Don't use that, it's too explosive!

BTW, simply leaning on the UIM can break the seals sometimes. Weak bolts, small footprint, just re-torque if the gaskest are recent.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
well, i was leaning on the uim while trying to get to the rear manifold bolts. If i re torque the bolts will that work or do i need to replace the gasket to make sure it does not leak?

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
well, i was leaning on the uim while trying to get to the rear manifold bolts. If i re torque the bolts will that work or do i need to replace the gasket to make sure it does not leak?

check to make sure the EGR is on all the ways,

You dont NEED to torque the UIM, just tighten tell there is resistance, anymore and you'll snap the bolt and be cussing yourself.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
EGR is on all the way made sure since i read that could make the car not idle right.

Plus i hear the leak up on the top, and the starting fluid smoothed out the rough idle. It all seems to be fixed now.

Tourige: You had to add a flex pipe into your exhaust correct?
I did as well, to do this i had to modify my cat a lot to make it fit properly, took forever i will post pics later as i am not home and dont have access to upload them.

L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L

Tourige: You had to add a flex pipe into your exhaust correct?
I did as well, to do this i had to modify my cat a lot to make it fit properly, took forever i will post pics later as i am not home and dont have access to upload them.

Modify? Did you weld on a three bolt flange?

I got a test pipe w/high flow cat, three flange on one side two on the other. I used a flex pipe also.
Stupid TruBendz put an 02 Bung in the pipe when I told them TWICE that I did not need one there. I have an oil drain plug in that hole to plug it up. I wasn't sending it back to them since it took weeks to get it.

B
BlackE1 Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
ya, the three bolt flange then remove 8 inches because of the flex pipe. Get an s-bend pipe to make the cat line up with the exhaust, and not hit the heat sheild when the engine torqued.

Never read anythign about this when i searched about the header install. Only thing i read was that i needed a flex pipe and a three bolt flange.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard