Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I'm wondering if its ok to use locktite on these? Ive installed the headers, and torque'd to spec, but a day or two later the bolts are loose. I'm just worried that if for some reason I need to take these off after the locktite, id be screwed.

Is there some reason they wont stay tight?

any help is appreciated.

thanks!

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
IIRC, you can remove bolt w/ loc-tite on them, it just takes more effort and/or heat, depending on the color of the loc-tite. I used them on my brothers truck when we did headers.
The bolt come loose from a combo of heat, cold, and vibration. I'd use the loc-tite, and not worry about taking them off. You will be able to remove them if needed, it will just keep them from coming out by themselves.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
IIRC, you can remove bolt w/ loc-tite on them, it just takes more effort and/or heat, depending on the color of the loc-tite. I used them on my brothers truck when we did headers.
The bolt come loose from a combo of heat, cold, and vibration. I'd use the loc-tite, and not worry about taking them off. You will be able to remove them if needed, it will just keep them from coming out by themselves.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
You want to use antisieze, not loctite.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I did use anti-seize. Any way I went to the dealer and got new bolts, which needed a lot of force to screw on.(compared to the old ones) I think they were over torqued, and thats why it came loose.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I wouldn't worry about putting loctite on. Many headbolts are NOT made to be re-used. Once used, the bolt stretches a little and after that they can not be used again as they will break or refuse to stay tight. You said you went and got new ones so as long as you torque them to the correct specs, you should be good to go.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard