Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Sedan vs 99 SVT Contour.

A buddy of mine (who owns the GTP) swears he would leave the SVT in the dust, but I don't think the GTP would have that big of a lead, if at all.

I'd say GTP wins, but only by a slight margin.

Other opinions?

95 Contour LX Zetec Project "2.0" starting soon! LOOKING FOR: SVT Rear Bumper SE Lip Spoiler If you're selling either of these send me a PM - formerly known as Purple95LX -
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
I think the slushbox really holds the GTP back, and the GTP is a bit heavy, but I dont know, I'm bad at these.

Best mobile phone resource site, especially Sony Ericsson 1996 Buick Riviera Gutted airbox K&N Air filter Modded boost bypass valve
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
I think the GTP would be the clear winner. Still rather have the SVT though.

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by kipsvt98:
I think the GTP would be the clear winner. Still rather have the SVT though.

Stock to stock...idk. I raced my buddies GTP and beat him. I had SVT exahaust and intake at the time.

If the GTP is modded...no contest.

That being said I would rather have an SVT over a GTP.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I used to own a 95 SE 5spd (still do, just not driven), but still lurk here every once in a while. I now own a 2000 GTP, and it's absolutely unreal how often GTPs and CSVTs are compared. A '99 CSVT for example has 0-60 and quarter mile stats of 6.8sec and 15.2sec. A 2000 GTP is listed as 6.8sec and 15.1sec while '97 GTPs are slightly quicker in the quarter mile with 14.9. Stock for stock and in a straight line, it is generally agreed that the GTP will win, but not by much. I personally love having a bigger car that looks more like a family sedan than a torquey monster that it is on the outside that surprises people (it's a sleeper vs. the svt actually looking fast), but I definitely did enjoy driving my SE. An SVT would give a GTP more than it could chew on a curvy road, but even though GTPs are big boats, they handle decently with a few suspension mods. My GTP has minimal mods totalling about $600. Cold air intake, exhaust work done with the downpipe, colder plugs and tstat, aftermarket pcm, and a smaller pulley for the supercharger. Although it hasn't been the track yet, cars with these mods are known to run 13.7-14.1 depending on track conditions, car, and driver in the quarter mile.

It would be a great race...run him at the track and if you beat him, say you beat a supercharged v6 with your dohc v6.

I would have gotten an svt instead of the gtp if I hadn't had bad luck with my se, and the alternator was the biggest pain in the ass for a high failure item...evarrr!!

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
GTP wins. Don't ask how I know...ARRRGH!!

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
aren't GTP's the ones with the 3.8L s/c engine?

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Princess Tong Po:
aren't GTP's the ones with the 3.8L s/c engine?

~Andrew

Yep.

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
that's 240 HP vs. 200 HP and 3414 lbs. vs. 2769 lbs.

contour might just stand a chance. i didn't realize how focking heavy the GTP was

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Well I was just reading through the dyno/drag section here at CEG, and apparently the numbers I looked up for the csvt aren't very accurate. It looks like stock svt drivers are ecstatic over 15.3s and 15.4s and generally happy with 15.6-15.8. I seen beyondloaded post that "freak" svts have been known to run 14.9s. GTPs have been know to run mid to low 14s stock (not hard to do with an intake otherwise). Also, a bad 60' stock for a gtp is around 2.2-2.3 and you have to really burn out bad off the line which isn't hard with 280 ft/lb of tq, and I seen several svts in the dyno/drag section with 2.4s and 2.5s for 60' times I would definitely say the gtp would take any stock csvt.

In the end though, the csvt is way more fun to drive

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard