Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1571828 05/15/06 05:47 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I had my check engine light go on 2 weeks ago. Car runs fine. Took it into the local reapir shop and they pulled a P0172 code. They recommended changing both o2 sensors and cleaning the K/N filter. All repairs were done and the light continues to come on a day after the repairs. He mentioned that the filter should be replaced as its getting old. Was I hosed on the o2 sensors, it cost $160 a piece to have them replaced?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1998 BLK contour sport 5 speed
#1571829 05/15/06 05:51 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by kas:
....Was I hosed on the o2 sensors, it cost $160 a piece to have them replaced?? ...

Unfortunately, yes. Most of the times, when a CEL appears, they will just recommend changing the O2 sensor even though it might not be the reason. P0172 is Bank 1 being rich. It might do you good to pick up a scanner (or code reader) as it will save you money on needless repairs in the long run. They cost from $75 up.

From TSB,
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The code sets when the adaptive fuel tables reach a lean calibrated limit.

Fuel System:
�· Excessive fuel pressure
�· Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
�· Vapor recovery system concern

Base Engine:
�· Oil overfill
�· Cam timing concern
�· Low cylinder compression
�· Excessive engine wear

Powertrain Control System:
�· PCM concern

Induction System:
�· MAF contamination

I suspect your MAF could have being contaminated due to an oily K&N filter. You should try cleaning the MAF and the oily K&N filter (or putting a regular paper air filter) to see if the CEL code goes away.

MAF sensor cleaning

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=36
and
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=989728&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
and
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/25/0900823d801bcb25.jsp

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1571830 05/15/06 07:02 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks Tony. I will try and recoup some of the cash, but not holding my breath. I will clean the MAF and see where that takes me.

1998 BLK contour sport 5 speed
#1571831 05/16/06 06:43 PM
G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
I concur -- very very probably 'dirt' on the MAF.

I have a K+N on my 97 SE V6 and twice a year clean the filter and MAF.

Only the 'lightest' of 'layers' of oil is needed on the K+N filter to keep it 'good'.

After a week or so - after cleaning and oiling the K+N - I take it off and then - using 'electrical switch cleaner' - I give the two 'filaments' of the MAF a good soaking. (Put a wad of Kleenex UNDER the 'venturi tube' to soak up excess.)

I wait a week because I'm figuring any 'excess' of oil, on the K+N, will have already dissipated down the throttle body. Thus, it makes little or no sense to clean the MAF immediately after re-oiling a K+N.

Don't be tempted to stick a cotton bud into the venturi to 'super clean' the MAF filaments. They are VERY easily broken. Just soak the living daylights out of them with fluid.

After doing all of this I disconnect fuses/relays '9' and '11' which removes all power to the ECM and ECM memory -- thus allowing the car to 'learn all over again'.

So far, going on 9 years now, have not had an iota of a prob.

Gerry

1997 Ford Contour SE V6 K+N Michelin MXV4's 95,000 miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard