Print Thread
#1564392 05/04/06 02:15 PM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
i've got a 98 v6 with 112k.

the cooling fan seems to engage too often and too loudly.

after reading this post, i'm still not sure about how to diagnose what's going on.

some basics:

1. no overheating issues. temp needle never exceeds dead center.
2. a/c works, but has not been utilized since last summer - beautiful weather here in atlanta, lately.
3. symptoms are experienced under a variety of driving conditions (but obviously can't tell when i'm hauling ass down the freeway).
4. fan engages in jet-engine mode while driving city streets, stopped at lights, etc.
5. fan disengages as well, but i haven't been able to establish an observable pattern to this.

my impression is that some switch, sensor or relay thinks the engine is running hotter than it actually is, and is engaging the fan to compensate.

not sure. ideas? thanks.

#1564393 05/04/06 02:29 PM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
The fan and radiator is doing its job cooling the system down before the car overheats. I would suspect coolant strength (get a $5 tester) first before trying the other more expensive fixes (thermostat, water pump, radiator).

Edit. It could be the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor if all else seems fine. Check the wiring at the connector first.

Here is a post from Chongo. It highlights the ECT sensor.

Originally posted by chongo:
Did someone call me out.......LOL

here you go.

Last edited by Tony2005; 05/04/06 02:44 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1564394 05/04/06 03:06 PM
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
will do, thanks tony.

i hadn't considered the coolant as a possible underlying issue, but one that i fear may be more accurate than i'd like to admit.

although the level is always maintained, i don't know if i've ever done a flush -- that being said, i'm sure the general quality or state of the coolant is much less than ideal.

maybe the fan is working overtime to compensate for my laziness/lack of maintenance --

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard