Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
What year and engine do you have. If early years Contour, you have a vacuum controled intake manifold runner control. With engine off, secondaries are open. When engine is running, vacuum closes them at idle. The irmc can easily cause this kind of bad gas mileage.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
According to his website, he has a '99 SE Sport.

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
dude, for 12mpg you MUST have a hole in your gas tank...
but check for:
- vacuum leaks
- spark plugs...which once did you put???
- 500lbs dead man in your trunk
I used to get low mpg several weeks before I get a O2 code, so you might have that comming soon (for the one you haven't changed yet)..or like someone said, could be the IMRC...i had that problem too.

P
P
Wow, I have the EXACT same problem. Only mine does more than just poor mileage. There is a terrible gas smell EVERYWHERE(notably under the hood) about 20 seconds after the car starts up. The car feels like it is about to die when idling, it revs up slightly and then feels like its going to sputer to a halt. The car lurches a bit when it shifts gears a t 60MPH or so. The car also hit a half a tank at 70 miles. Something is terribly wrong and the guesses I have are fuel filter or gas line. The CEL comes on and off for about 10 minutes every other hour and when I first start the car, there is a plastic tapping noise coming from the belts on the left side of the car by the belts. The sound goes away after awhile.....I dunno whats going on and have no idea where to take it. Any good repair chains worth taking it to? I was thinking the stealership.

Last edited by Plague27; 04/30/06 03:14 PM.

1995 Ford Contour GL with automatic tranny
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Plague27:
...The CEL comes on and off for about 10 minutes every other hour ...

You need to scan the CEL code and post. Do it yourself or send to Advance or Autozone (free service).

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
P
Ok, ill try to find an autozone out here. I think there is one somewhere. I'll try to find out. Thanks.

1995 Ford Contour GL with automatic tranny
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Unless this has happened more than one tank I wouldn't be to worried about it. The pump probably shut off early but it was still high enough to show a full tank.

Green 2000 SVT #1166 mods-K&N and Custom heat shield, optimized y pipe, Magnaflow center resonator, DMDhttp://www.geocities.com/savinoss/Cars.html -Wifes car 99 Mystique V6 5 spd
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard