Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
So far, I've found that my stereo, electronic door locks and trunk, dome lights and power windows all go through the passenger compartment fuse #34. The owner's manual suggests that fuse #32 does the stereo, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any hints on tracking down exactly where the (fairly sizeable) short might be?

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by weargle:
So far, I've found that my stereo, electronic door locks and trunk, dome lights and power windows all go through the passenger compartment fuse #34. The owner's manual suggests that fuse #32 does the stereo, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any hints on tracking down exactly where the (fairly sizeable) short might be?

Disconnect one accessory at a time, put in a new fuse, if it doesn't blow the fuse, then that accessory is the fault. Then run new wiring for that accessory.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/22/06 10:36 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
The short isn't blowing the fuse.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
What is it doing or not doing?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
S
S
I had exactly the same problem, and it turned out to be a short in the overhead dome light. Pop out assembly, disconnect and see if problem disappears.

Good luck,

Marvin Stockman

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P

I'm confused.

If it's not blowing a fuse, why do you believe you have a fairly sizable short???

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Stocky:
I had exactly the same problem, and it turned out to be a short in the overhead dome light. Pop out assembly, disconnect and see if problem disappears.

Good luck,

Marvin Stockman

I'll give that a shot. I also found that the keyless entry box had fallen from behind the glove compartment. There is a connector that isn't connected to anything, a two wire connector with a white wire and a brown one. Does this go to anything that it slipped out of or is this not plugged in on purpose?

W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by projectSHO89:

I'm confused.

If it's not blowing a fuse, why do you believe you have a fairly sizable short???

Steve

Because it drains the battery overnight. I believe that the battery has gone to crap due to the number of cycles to zero volts as well and it needs to be replaced.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
In that case, it's not a short circuit, it's a low resitance current path (they are not the same).

Charge the battery, insert an ammeter in circuit, then start disconnecting possible loads until the draw goes away.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
W
weargle Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
In that case, it's not a short circuit, it's a low resitance current path (they are not the same).

Charge the battery, insert an ammeter in circuit, then start disconnecting possible loads until the draw goes away.

Steve

That's what happened when we discovered that it was fuse #34. Unfortunately, this isn't something that I can do by myself because it'll eat a DOM if I open a door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard