Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I want to change or should say need to change the sway bar links, both front and rear. Are there any quirks I need to be aware of before attempting the job myself? I looked at them last night and it does not look like that big a deal. My car is a 1998 Contour Sport, 2.5 L auto.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
It's REALLY easy. And Liquid Wrench is your friend.

For the fronts, I got the Ford units: they are cast aluminum, and cheaper than all of the aftermarket places I checked. BAT offers them as an upgrade, but I got them for $21 each from Ford. I even used them on the rear of my late father's Mazda Protege (perfect fit at 1/4 the price of Mazda's part).

One thing that helped me on the fronts: get both of the nuts started before removing completely. Just easier that way.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
It's REALLY easy. And PB Blaster is your friend.

For the fronts, I got the Ford units: they are cast aluminum, and cheaper than all of the aftermarket places I checked. BAT offers them as an upgrade, but I got them for $21 each from Ford. I even used them on the rear of my late father's Mazda Protege (perfect fit at 1/4 the price of Mazda's part).

One thing that helped me on the fronts: get both of the nuts started before removing completely. Just easier that way.

Fixed

Also, a long wrench or socket handle will help you a lot. You have to fit a wrench on the back side (to keep it from spinning) and a socket on the front. But be prepared...winter salt can really "rust" that nut on. I used a big 18" bar from AZ and still couldn't get one side to break free.

And I agree...the new Ford units are the shizzzz

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
thx guys , when you buy the parts do they all come with new bolts? plus all you need to do the job

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
No PB Blaster in Canada that I've ever seen......

I can't remember if it came with the nuts or not (been acouple of years since I did it). That said, if Ford can make money off selling the nuts separately, they will likely try. You will likely find out quickly enough when you stop in to buy the bits.

The front units have no bolts, as it's a ball joint type of arrangement. The threaded part is integral.

The rears should come with every thing you need.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Stephen Fischer:
thx guys , when you buy the parts do they all come with new bolts? plus all you need to do the job

When I bought the end links (fronts) they came with everything that I needed, even the nuts. I didn't buy them at the dealership, just got Moog parts.

Eric...

PT Cruiser Limited 2002 MTX of course! Mystique 1998 V6 MTX Sold.

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard