C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Okay, here's the skinny:

The car: 1996 Contour v6 2.5 Duratec Manual Trans

The problem: Car won't start. Car turns over but that's it. I checked spark, no spark. Doesn't sound like the pump primes either. I've already checked all fules and ensured they are seated well. I swapped fuel pump power and ignition relays with other relays of the same type from the other slots, no change, car turns but won't start. My suspicion is either the ECU (That's the only thing I can think of that controls both fuel and spark) OR I have a few bad relays.

BTW, long time no see, eh guys?

chbix

1996 Contour V6 2.5L 24V 5 speed Shift knob: pilot Nickel Metallic Millennium Plus Series Foglights: Pilot Pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/787584
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
well i had the same problem. It ended up being the pcm memory fuse in the fuse box under the hood. check the igition control module,crank shaft position sensor. that would be my first guess

95 s.e. 2.5l mtx ,koni yellows, h&r springs,kkm intake, ddm,custom catback exhaust, spec stage 3 , fidanza flywheel, all 98 svt midnight blue interior. , and much more....
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Does the CEL come on for a few seconds when the ignition first is switched to RUN?

Have you attepted to run the KOEO PCM Quick Test?

Do you have the service CD? It has a complete diagnostic procedure for this exact fault that will wlak you through the diagnostic and keep you from wasting parts and money.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
When I looked to check the PCM Memory fuse, I saw that there was a 10A fuse in the location for the fuse and it is supposed to be a 3A. Could that have fried the pcm memory? As well as the CEL does NOT come on.

1996 Contour V6 2.5L 24V 5 speed Shift knob: pilot Nickel Metallic Millennium Plus Series Foglights: Pilot Pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/787584
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by chbix:
... As well as the CEL does NOT come on.

When you turn the key to ON, the CEL does not come on?

Yes, check the fuses 1, 4, 9, 11 in the Power Distribution Box (next to the battery) first.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/22/06 10:30 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
The CEL light does not come on when you turn the ignition to ON as its suppose to. The fuses are fine at the power distribution box, like I said before the one fuse is rated in the manual as a 3 amp fuse, but there is a 10 amp fuse in the slot.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
One thing often overlooked is the ignition switch and ignition relay (the one under the dash). I've had the same no start problem on a few of these cars and it a couple of cases it was the relay and one it was the ignition switch (actually the plug for the switch was damaged)and more recently I had one that had the harness pinched between the battery tray and the bottom of the under hood fuse box, shorting out the ignition wire.

Another thing overlooked is the alarm system (if equiped). When I get one with a no start condition the first thing I do is rip out the alarm (if equipped) and restore the original wiring. 9 times out of 10 and alarm system is the no start problem.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
C
chbix Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Wouldn't a faulty ignition switch or relay cause a no-crank situation? It cranks, I just have no spark or fuel delivery. I've switched the ignition relay with a relay from the pdb of the same type (5ka). Assuming this is a good relay, I would have either shorted wiring somewhere or another problem, like pcm, right? The car will crank. There is no CEL when the key is turned ON, AND there is NO 1-2 second prime of the fuel pump.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
The car will still crank fine with a bad ignition switch or relay. Crank power is supplied by a different power wire. An easy way to check the switch and/or relay.....turn the key to the run position (NOT start) which is the ignition circuit. With the ignition switch in that postion see if your blower motor works. If it doesn't then your not getting ignition voltage. If it does then I would start testing voltage all along the ignition system. The PCM is most likly NOT your problem. I would lean more towards a wiring issue. I've worked on dozens of these cars and wiring seems to be the source of a lot of problems with them.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Figols:
I would lean more towards a wiring issue. I've worked on dozens of these cars and wiring seems to be the source of a lot of problems with them.

Don't know if you know about this:
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=24

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard