Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Nem Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Okay, I made a topic a while back about how my 96 Contour would splutter and stall when I barely pressed the gas pedal down.

I took it in, my mechanic fixed it right up and it runs great.

But now there is another problem...

When I turn the car on, it will start up nicely, and after a few seconds, the engine will splutter and die. I don't press on the gas or anything, and the emergency brake is still on and the car is still in park.

I thought it might have related back to the other problem, which turned out to be something to do with this smog valve in my car.

But anyways, any ideas of what could be causing it to stall a few seconds after I turn it on? Becuase it starts right back up again...

My car is a 1996 Ford Contour Automatic, 2.0L Zetec engine.

And it has about 110,000 miles on it.

I searched in all the other places, and haven't found a problem quite like mine soo...

Ideas and suggestions would be great

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Nem:
..I took it in, my mechanic fixed it right up and it runs great....

So what did the mechanic do? And did you do the items suggested in the previous thread? Clean IAC, MAF, TB and change fuel filter.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1213697&Forum=All_Forums&Words=25240&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1213697&Search=true#Post1213697

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
N
Nem Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The mechanic changed the fuel filter, and he also replaced the coolant temp sensor.

He said the TB, MAC and IAC look fine.

He also said the engine was making no abnormal noises when he listened to it.

As mentioned above, he said the main reason for stalling when pressing down lightly on the gas and then letting up was because of the smog vaccume thing in the engine which he disabled...

It runs fine now, but it just seems to want to stall every once in a while when I first turn it on and do nothing else.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"He said the TB, MAC and IAC look fine."
I would still clean them and see if it helps.

"As mentioned above, he said the main reason for stalling when pressing down lightly on the gas and then letting up was because of the smog vaccume thing in the engine which he disabled..."
I'd be curious to know what was this that he disabled.

Edit.
When the CEL is lighted, go to Advance or Autozone and scan the CEL codes (free service) and post.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/19/06 05:41 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
N
Nem Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The smog thing he disable is the hose which is circled in the picture posted below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/absol_rah/Smog.jpg

He took it out, and put a screw in the end, so that it won't function anymore.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
That looked like a 4 cyl. Can you do the same thing to a 2.5 v6?? I am wondering if thats why I cannot start my car and keep it running.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard