Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Icefury Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I plan on installing 19# injectors on my 99 V6 MTX Cougar (return fuel system) and needed a bit of advice. Current performance mods are..

KKM SVT Intake
SVT TB
SVT Upper Intake
Gutted Precats
Borla Dual Catback

Someone made the suggestion of using the stock ECU and using Pro Flow's MAF calibrator ($120). What do you all think of this? Any drawbacks?

99 V6 MTX Dark Tourmaline Cougar

My Cougar
D
D
Drawbacks.

yes.

The MAF optimizer is extremely limited on how it affects A/F at individual rpm points. It's also not extremely accurate (2 POT dials)

I would highly recommend the PRO-M 75mm MAF and an S-AFC to do it properly.

Stock ECU should be fine. Custom chip is always better, but not a requirement.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
M
M
I am doing this kind of setup right now with a C&L MAF and an Apexi. Although we tried it on another vehicle with no Apexi and it also appeared to work fine (ecu + MAF compensated and kept the long term/short term FT hovered around 0) but dyno data... only the butt dyno. It's fun to take a drive with the AutoTap and record what you can.

My Project: Cougar 2001 French Blue V6 MTX
Goal: A kickass ride!
My Website
I
I
I just bought 19# fuel injectors from bnoon. I will install them soon and see what the obd-2 reader says about my lean condition. I hope to go a little rich, say .93-.94.

No Apexi/Greddy, no 75mm Pro-M until I see a problem.

Let me know how you do.

98 Contour LX V6 Mtx
A
A
Just out of curiosity, has anyone had about $2500 to throw into there car and tried any or all of these tasty items? Will any of them work on the tours? It seems to me that all of the actual engine parts should work since it's the same engine. I don't have that kind of dough so I guess this is for anyone that might have it (and would maybe want to sponsor me... laugh wink ). It does have some injectors on the page, since that is what this thread is about.

Focus Cylinder Head

(I'm going to keep trying this sponsorship thing until someone feels some sympathy for me wink )

99 SE Zetec ATX
CTA intake
ZX2 FMS wires(that don't fit my oddball coil)
andenthal@mindspring.com
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by IndyTour:
I just bought 19# fuel injectors from bnoon. I will install them soon and see what the obd-2 reader says about my lean condition. I hope to go a little rich, say .93-.94.

No Apexi/Greddy, no 75mm Pro-M until I see a problem.

Let me know how you do.
I hope it works out for you, but I don't think it will by just adding injectors. Have you ever checked your Long Term Fuel Trim values to see if they are extremely negative? AFAIK the PCM uses those when calculating pulse width at WOT (but doesn't update the values at WOT). The bigger injectors will definitely cause a very negative LT Trim, and if the LT Trim + the Short Term Trim is less than -30 (or more than +30), you'll throw a CEL. Means you'll need something to adjust anyway.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
I
I
My LT fuel trim runs from 18-30. My lean condition at WOT at the 02 sensor is 38%. I think its pretty bad. Enough to buy injectors.

98 Contour LX V6 Mtx
P
P
Wow, I knew you had a problem, but dayum that's a lot of Long Term Trim. I'm sure you'll let us know how it worked out. Good luck!

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
H
H
PA 3L SVT,

You were right, CEL for LT Fuel trim -18 and ST -12. Code Rich Bank 1, Rich Bank 2.

Apexi, eManage, or Mafterburner in the plans, hopefully before SZ2002.

98 T-Red Contour LX V6 Mtx 106k miles
9" K&N, Aussie Pipe, Dual Mode Damper, 19lb. injectors, SHM MAFterburner, Ford 9mm Wires, Mystery Mod, ShoShop Off-road Y pipe, Dynomax Resonator and Muffler, 2.5" custom cat-back.
C
Administrator
Administrator
C
Quote:
Originally posted by IndyTour:
My LT fuel trim runs from 18-30. My lean condition at WOT at the 02 sensor is 38%. I think its pretty bad. Enough to buy injectors.
Have you checked your fuel pressure? Could be a bad pump or clogged filter.

-Chris Hightower-
-Hightower Performance Products, LLC

(Oo.«xx».oO)
o xxxxxxxxx o
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard