Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
My brake fluid has been dirty since I bought the car. I don't mean like a little cloudy, I mean almost jet black. I'll have to take a picture so you guys can gasp in disgust.

Anyways, the first time my uncle and I bled the brakes we found that the fluid was very nasty which probably contributed to my mushy brake pedal. After the flush, the fluid was clean but one trip around town and it was back to the same. Fast foward to October of last year and I had the system flushed again and had ATE Superblue put in while the Koni kit was installed. The pedal felt fine. I then had the resevoir cleaned out the day before a trackday and it looked decent.

The brakes worked fine at the trackday with no evidence of boiling fluid or anything like that. The pedal however began to get mushy again after a few months. I had the Ford dealer power flush the brakes this time which greatly improved pedal feel and brake response. The fluid was clear until I got home and then it looked cloudy. Now it's looks nasty again.

Any suggestions as to why my brake fluid will not stay clean?

Justin 1999 Ford SVT Contour (T-Red) Cardomain site
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Bump, even if I can't go any higher.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by JCSVT:
... I had the Ford dealer power flush the brakes this time which greatly improved pedal feel and brake response. The fluid was clear until I got home and then it looked cloudy. Now it's looks nasty again.

If you paid for a power flush and it was good for just the drive home, I would send it back to the dealer and question what they did.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I have a theory, the clutch slave cylinder, my sister's Mystique does the same thing. My automatic Mystique brake fluid stays clean.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
I have a theory, the clutch slave cylinder, my sister's Mystique does the same thing. My automatic Mystique brake fluid stays clean.

Hmmm...how would I go about fixing this? Maybe another thing to do while the trans is out in the future.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
That's a theory. Do you bleed the clutch when you do a brake fluid flush?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
That's a theory. Do you bleed the clutch when you do a brake fluid flush?

I've only done that once. Should I get that done the next time I get the fluid changed?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Just flushing the system will never get all of the old (dirty) fluid out of the master cylinder. The fluid becomes dirty because of deteriorating rubber components in the system. This will also cause a soft pedal due to brake fluid going around the seals in the master cylinder.

Try replacing the master cylinder (remember to bench bleed the new one) then flush the brake system again, then go do a few ABS stops and recheck the fluid, if it looks all clean you should be OK, if it is dirty again flush it again. You may also need to flush the clutch master/slave as well.

I had a similar problem with the fluid always looking dirty and that is what I did. Hasn't been dirty lookin since.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Just more to replace while the trans is out.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard