Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Quote:

I have to agree support needs to be given to divisions like SRT and TRD for offerring performance factory options

Don't forget Nismo, they've even got parts for the trucks too

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Hydramatic:
Well, the typical SRT-4 buyer doesn't get it for handling, though the old Neons were pretty darn good at it from the get-go....

Really? You have data on all 25k SRT-4 owners? I don't, but I wouldn't speculate either. I'd be curious what percentage of SRT-4's (and PT Turbos) have any Mopar stage kits.

Quote:

So taking that into consideration, a stage upgrade kit that doesn't improve horsepower and torque isn't worth buying unless you take it to the track. OR just like really bad ride quality from your daily driver....

So, don't buy the upgrade kits. Most aftermarket performance companies are not stupid. They sell what people will pay money for and earn profits. If that is what MOPAR decides to sell, there will be buyers, just not you. They don't care to capture everyone.

Quote:

I do understand the power limitations, but that simply cannot be correct. The old Stage III kits put it WELL over 300 hp. On the OLD engine. If the Caliber SRT-4 can only make 300 hp safely, I'd be mighty, MIGHTY disappointed by Mopar.

So how much engine development experience do you have vs. Mopar to claim such a thing?

Current Stage 3 kit offers 310hp/325ft-lb with an upgraded turbo on premium fuel (I dunno if 91 r 93 required). Stage 2 with only injectors, wastegate, sensor and PCM is 265/280. Using 100 Octane fuel increases those numbers, but that is not readily available outside of race tracks.

Quote:

So I say the engine could probably max out a little shy of 400, but I would count on transmission upgrades for not much more power than what it makes stock.

It's easy to estimate, design, and test an engine rated for xxx power, but there are many more vehicle components that could limit the power. Tranny, chassis, diff, clutch, who knows. You don't know. Neither do I. Why are you speculating a year plus away? The stock Caliber SRT-4 isn't even available to drive yet so we have no idea how it will perform and we already want to bench race it and add fictitious aftermarket goodies to compensate for unknown performance deficiencies.

I quote a DCX insider, "It ain�t official until it's official."

For more rumors and insider info, check out caliberforums.com and allpar.com News and Rumors forum.

K
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Quote:

I'd be curious what percentage of SRT-4's (and PT Turbos) have any Mopar stage kits

They said Mopar sold 5300 stage kits for the SRT-4, but didn't say anything about the grand total. Seeing the PT doesn't have the tuner following like the Neon does, I'd say Mopar sold about 10% of that amount to its PT turbo owners and thats being generous. So all in all, I'd say they sold about 5900 kits Everything that I've been reading it looks like alot of people like the Caliber, another winner for DC, Ford and GM, where are you

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom Diva:
The prices aren't low. That's the problem. It's ugly, has a cheap tinny look and feel, and it's expensive.

It's expensive?

Where can you get 300 factory HP for less money?

Originally posted by Klasse Act:
Everything that I've been reading it looks like alot of people like the Caliber, another winner for DC, Ford and GM, where are you

They're busy focusing on the full-size truck and mid-size sedan markets.

Dodge may have sold 25k SRT4s over the car's lifetime. Ford sells that many pick-ups every week.

And which do you think has a bigger profit margin: a $20k track-tuned speedster or a $30k pair of boxes bolted together?

K
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Your point is taken about the focus on higher dollar products, thanks for serving our country

...now that I've handled that, we're talking about perf cars here, vehicles that we'd actually own. I don't want/need a pickup truck, but it seems that DCX offers those as well as high perf, entry model cars, thats all I was sayin' Again, thanks for serving our country!

BTW, don't look now, but it appears that the MS3 has the same TWO HUNDERED AND EIGHTY FOOT POUNDS OF TORQUE that the MS6 has and is 20 ft/lbs more than the Caliber SRT-4. It looks like the hot-hatch battle is on and again I ask, where is Ford and GM

J
Flaming Biker Dude
Flaming Biker Dude
J
Originally posted by Rickson:
rog where is the linky??

Are we a Mythbusters fan Mr?

People suck. Rev it till it MELTS.....
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by 99SEsport2004:
...I can tell you that Old Mopar has never really had good interiors...

I'm gonna have to disagree with that. The interior in my dad's 99 Dakota Sport is pretty nice. I favor it more than any S-10/Sonoma, Colorado, Ranger or Tacoma that I have been in.

I think you've got this one right 99SE. As in the sig, I drive a 94 Shadow, pretty much standard, not many options. But the interior, for being cloth and not-well-cared-for, it's VERY comfortable.
Somewhat related, my grandparents (with whom I live) just bought a 2005 Chrysler Sebring, and it's more comfortable than any other car I can recall having been in

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R

The brake thing makes sense, but I highly doubt ANYONE would buy a stage upgrade kit that doesn't do anything...

S1 for the Neon SRT-4 does almost nothing for performance in itself. It gives you a more aggresive fuel map which allows you to pull a considerable amount more of that fuel fuel out, but you need something else to do it. Mopar doesn't actually even sell anything that could be used to pull the fuel out either. You can either do it by upping your boost (and with S1 you can run about 17psi safely) or by getting something to control your air/fuel ratio. Upping boost will lean things out, but it's obviously not the best choice to lean a car out. Some guys run S1 up to 20psi, but they all wind up having issues and most end up going back down to 17psi. With a return line and S1 (my set-up) you can actually run up to 21psi, and if you get water injection you can push it a bit further to around 23/24psi.

Anyhow, my point was S1 in iteslf for the Neon SRT-4 doesn't hardly do anything in iteslf. Dyno numbers go up less than 5hp and barely any more tq than that.

'03 SRT-4 50 trim turbo + support
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
14.1's a 1/4 mile damn!! for 22k i am amazed

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
K
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Thats the cool thing about the Caliber SRT-4, its not like some factory tuned cars we know and love, it does many things well and one thing VERY well, accelerates with room for more, BRILLANT

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard