Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1539583 04/01/06 04:05 PM
D
Deanna Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I asked my brother in law why I was smelling gas. I am wanting to know if he's correct.

When I started the car and got out to check my back tires. I smelled gas. Now, when I got the car 2 months ago. I noticed that it idle's high. at 2. I wait for it to come down before I put it in reverse.

I was told that it was my Air Filter. To replace it and then also take off the positive battery cable thing for 10 min. This will release the settings that my car has made for itself
due to having a Dirty Filter. And the car will default to its original settings.

Doing this will make my car not idle like it is. And the gas smell will go away.

I have a 7 month old baby. I'm scared to drive it because of the gas smell. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct information?

I am assuming that this problem is the reason that my check engine light flashes on and off everynow and again when I am driving at speeds of 60+.
But I have other electical issues, that work on rare occasion. Dome light, light above door handle. Heck my door locks have never worked for me. lol. And I have replaced all the fuses for these possible problems.

I am wondering if there not all connected by some type of wireing.
Am I correct?

It would be nice if I could replace the Air Filter and all those other issues disappeared.. lol

Thank You Deanna

#1539584 04/01/06 09:47 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Im guessing your fuel filter is clogged, change that up and if the problem is still there you might have to look at the fuel rail.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1539585 04/01/06 10:51 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Make sure the gas cap is tight, so it clicks. It is kind of stiff to turn. My cap actually did not tighten in all the way because there was dirt on the threads. If the cap is loose you might smell gas and the engine light might come on.

#1539586 04/02/06 01:38 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome Deanna .

"When I started the car and got out to check my back tires. I smelled gas."
This is quite normal as it runs rich right after starting and it takes a little longer for the idle to come down during winter. So don't wait for it to come down. As soon as the windshield it not foggy after starting, put it in gear and go.

As suggested previously, change the filter as it could be clogged up and make sure gas cap is closed with at least "three clicks". This is stated on the gas cap.

"I was told that it was my Air Filter."
I doubt it is your air filter but changing it is a good maintenance item.

"take off the positive battery cable thing for 10 min. This will release the settings that my car has made for itself"
This is to reset the PCM. An easier way is to open the Power Distribution Box (next to the battery) and pull out Fuses 4 and 11 for a minute or two.

"Doing this will make my car not idle like it is. And the gas smell will go away."
If resetting the PCM makes the smell go away, it means, the car was running on a limp mode before you reset it.
The next time you have the CEL come on, take it to Autozone or Advance Auto and have then scan it (free service). Make sure you note the Code number, then post it here for us to help you.

"I am assuming that this problem is the reason that my check engine light flashes on and off everynow and again when I am driving at speeds of 60+."
This could be misfirng but we won't know unless you have it scanned and post the codes.

"But I have other electical issues, that work on rare occasion. Dome light"
Probably due to winter, the spring does not work too well. Just push the switch by the door in and out a few times and see if that helps.

"light above door handle."
Probably broken. Don't worry about that.

"I am wondering if there not all connected by some type of wireing.
Am I correct?"
Could be but take care of the gas smell first.

Oh and do post your engine (6 cylinder Duratec or 4 cylinder Zetec). When you open the hood, you will see if it says Duratec or Zetec.

What year? Auto or Manual? And what mileage?

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1539587 04/02/06 04:34 PM
D
Deanna Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well Thank you very much Tony. 95 Ford Contour, Auto, 61k, 6 cylinder Well taken Care of. Everything thats been done to it has been wrote down. I even have the purchase invoice. It does not look like it's had to many problems. For a 11yr old car, great condition, one ( old lady)owner, 61k... for $3000 It was a deal I could not pass up in my eyes.

I replaced the air filter and no gas smell anymore. Also it don't idle like it used to. I noticed a difference right away.

"take off the positive battery cable thing for 10 min. This will release the settings that my car has made for itself"
This is to reset the PCM. An easier way is to open the Power Distribution Box (next to the battery) and pull out Fuses 4 and 11 for a minute or two.

Well I appreicate you telling me that. Even tho I did it the other way. I am glad you told me a easier way. Chicks getting under the hood messing those cables just dont mix. LOL

I am on my way to Auto Zone here in a few. But again I wanted to Thank you for Replying.

#1539588 04/02/06 04:38 PM
D
Deanna Offline OP
OP Offline
D
FavoriteMystaque Thank you. I think I have fixed the issue. I changed the Air filter. I am taking it to Autozone to have it checked out. the CEL Still comes on and off at speeds of 60+

#1539589 04/05/06 12:22 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Glad to help

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard