Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1539215 04/01/06 12:33 AM
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
My right headlight(opposite one of the battery) keeps blowing its low beam bulb.I have put in 4 or 5 new bulbs in there in the past month or two.What is the problem here?Should I check a fuse?It is really starting to get annoying !

99 SVT/silver frost....with "some" mods SVT FLYWHEEL 4 SALE!!! PM me
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Clean the bulb holder and check the wiring from bulb holder to fuse/ground.

Edit. Wiring from bulb holder, is orange/white to fuse, and black to ground. In addition, Fuse number is 15 and is 10 AMP (red) in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/01/06 03:13 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Make sure you're not touching the bulb. Evidently the grease from our fingers weakens the bulb somehow. Not quite sure if this is a problem with our car's bulbs, but I remember reading it on the packaging of a headlight once.

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Try another brand of bulbs, if you haven't already. If your alternator overcharges, it could burn out bulbs, but other bulbs would blow, too. Check battery voltage with car running is not over 15. Make sure the headlight housing is secure, not rattling around.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Yes,I have tried other brand bulbs(no luck there).I will check the fuse and the alternator 2marrow.Hopefully one of these will identify the problem.

Side note-My lights have been flickering for about a month the interior and headlights,not sure if the problem is tied together.I think someone on here told me iirc they said that the switch to turn the headlights on and off was going bad.I didn't exactly get what they were saying.If anyone can elaborate(sp) on this one it would be a big help.thnxs

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Tisby:
Make sure you're not touching the bulb. Evidently the grease from our fingers weakens the bulb somehow. Not quite sure if this is a problem with our car's bulbs, but I remember reading it on the packaging of a headlight once.

Yes I have heard of this also.So I make sure not to touch the light bulb.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by brandonsvt99:
...Side note-My lights have been flickering for about a month the interior and headlights,not sure if the problem is tied together.I think someone on here told me iirc they said that the switch to turn the headlights on and off was going bad.I didn't exactly get what they were saying.If anyone can elaborate(sp) on this one it would be a big help.thnxs

Actually that was me after suggesting that you test the alternator and then the voltage regulator before going to the headlamp switch route. Have you tested the alternator or VR yet?
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1196144&Forum=All_Forums&Words=24163&Match=Username&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1195777&Search=true#Post1196144

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Haha thats funny small forum .How exactly do you check the altenator?I'm no mechanic by any standards.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
..How exactly do you check the altenator?I'm no mechanic by any standards.

In that case, forget about checking the Voltage Regulator.

But to test the alternator, you buy a digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM), usually about $20. Then with engine running, set DVOM on voltage scale, put DVOM leads on terminals on the battery. Should be 14 to 14.5 volts.

As previously posted, check the bulb holder and wiring too.

Good luck.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Tisby:

Yes I have heard of this also.So I make sure not to touch the light bulb.

Most headlight packages say not to touch the glass bulb especially Xenon's. I think my Silverstars did as well.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard