Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Hey there, I have a 98.5 SE 2.5L MTX... I am going to replace my alternator this weekend as well as the belt. When I called up Murray's Auto, they list 2 different belt sizes for the car WITH A/C. I do have A/C of course, but I don't understand why it shows up as 2 different sizes... they show the water pump of course, but the serpentine belt shows up as a 72" OR a 71.5"... Autozone has them listed as a 71.5". Which one is it? If it makes any difference at all (which I am 99% sure it doesn't), I have the DMD on the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
They have a fugged up computer. Only one belt for a car with a/c. DMD makes no difference.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
That's what I figured... so do I get the 71.5" then? All I know is when I replaced the crank pulley with the DMD, I put a new belt on it (a cheap-o), I don't remember running into this before, but outside of the age rib cracks on it, it fits like a glove and the tensioner is sitting right in the middle... but the size markings are worn off of it.

Since Autozone says 71.5" and Murray's says 71.5" and 72"... should I just shoot for the 71.5"? I was going to buy both and return one... but I'd rather know which is right for the car.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Yep. Get what AZ has.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Could be one for engine without an A/C compressor. Some folks have a stoved up compressor and can't run a belt. When fixing the compressor doubles the value of your car the short belt is an alternative.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
He SPECIFICALLY stated that it lists two lengths (though they were incorrect to have two listed) for vehicles WITH A/C..

OBVIOUSLY there are shorter lengths for those without a compressor.

Did you read his entire post, or just forget that? (because I do that, too, sometimes.. forget what I just read...)

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I didn't forget. All the cars came with A/C - someone just chose not to (fix the clutch) run the compressor. A few folks on this board over the years have already done this.

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
But that belt is listed as non-AC, and it's a heck of a lot more than .5" shorter. Also, my 1995 sales bruchure says you can get the V-6 without A/C. I know they aren't always right, but...

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
Alright guys... thank you very much. I ended up ordering the NEW alternator from Murray's (it will be here today) and got the Goodyear Gatorback 71.5" belt (thank you for the advise!). Yes, the car has A/C, yes I still have it connected... the non-A/C belt actually is a ton shorter than the two listed, so all of the belt lentghs mentioned above are for cars WITH A/C. I had them order the 72" gatorback as well just in case then I'd return the one that wasn't right... then I received a call back from them later on last night saying that no one has that belt length, including all of their stores, parts express warehouse, main warehouse, or other suppliers. They would have to order it directly from Goodyear. I told them to hold off and I'd just try this one, if it doesn't work, I'll simply put the old belt back on and then at that point have them order the new one considering it takes about a week or so and I'd just worry about it then.

Thank you guys again for the help... I have about a mile and a half of extensions, I have the universal joints and also the swivel socket joints as well... I will post on how much of a b**ch it was to do on Monday. Thank you again guys! Wish me luck for tomorrow!

W
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
W
So interesting enough, I think I know why there were 2 belt lengths listed. I changed the alternator, BTW, it wasn't that bad... it sucked, don't get me wrong, but I barely used any of those walk throughs, just as a reference bassicaly and I had it all done in 2-2.5hrs. I even removed the alternator bracket after I got the alternator out so that I could press the sleves out, then I was even able to get a 1/4" air ratchet somehow up by the cat. and get to both bolts to tighten the alternator back in. Anyway... the pulley on the new alternator is actually smaller by a 1/4" or so than the stock one... the 71.5" belt fit EXACTLY the same as the 72" did with the stock alternator on. That must be why. Don't get me wrong, the tensioner is almost at it's max with being tight... it was a PITA to get the belt over the pulley, but it's all done.

My alternator was completely cracked just like everyone elses... what a POS. Really crappy design for them to bassicaly mount the alternator on it's side and not support the weight evenly from underneith it. I don't blame the parts for failing at all... that is just simply a poor design and I would NOT recomend ANYONE getting a reman part because the alternator case is that much closer to failure.

Now I have a new water pump (metal impeller) and belt, a new alternator and drive belt, no more battery light above 5k, and no more whistle in the stereo... everything works great. I'm now ready to make my road trip on Thursday from MI to SC for a wedding.

On a side note... I dropped a bottle of water wetter in the coolant mixture since I had one sitting there because I use that stuff in my Mustang... the water temp is actually lower... I don't know by how much, but instead of being dead center on the gauge, it's left of center by a little and is stable... the car seems MUCH happier now. I was VERY impressed by how much of a difference the water wetter did in a bassicaly stock (non-race engine) car. Something to think about. The cooling system seems MUCH more efficient and stable and the fans don't have to constantly be on either.

Link Copied to Clipboard