Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
My car was sitting for about a year but was started a couple times during that period. I drove it a couple times for about a half hour 3 times each and it always seemed fine. Now there is black liquid coming out of the exhaust which looks and smells like oil. There is also white smoke coming out of the exhaust while the car is running even after it has been idling for about 20 minutes. I checked my oil and other fluids and they are all fine. The car use to drive fine those couple times i drove it but now it is doing those 2 things. ALso even after letting it idle for a while then when i rev it a little, the rpms drop real low in idle after i let go of the gas and sometimes it dies out. I really need any help i can get about this problem. Again this is on a Automatic 1998 Ford Contour SE V6 engine. I called a mechanic and he said it sounds like a ring might be sticking in the engine from sitting (but doesnt seem to make sense because it was driving fine even after sitting the couple times i drove it) or else he said it might be a blown headgasket. I need to find out what i can check on my own though because the car has no plates, insurance and i have no license at the moment, therefore i cant drive it anywhere to get it looked at. Thank you

i am new to this
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Quote:

OIL/SMOKE OUT EXHAUST (WHY WONT ANYONE HELP ME?)

It's the middle of the flippin' night, fer crissakes!

Quit yer whining and be patient...

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Pull your plugs and see if they're oily.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Do not start two post about one thing!!!!!

2000 svt contour 1996 oldsmobile eighty-eight
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
also my oil level is still fine and looks normal, it doesnt look like mud or a milkshake.

i am new to this
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome . Change the oil, change the coolant. Put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Then drive it a while and then do the cheap headgasket test.

Do the cheap test for headgasket leak.
Here is a cheap quick way to test the headgasket.
Fill antifreeze to the brim on recovery tank (leave cap off). Remove all spark plug wires. Remove all but one spark plug and have someone crank the engine. If the antifreeze bubbles over, there is leak from that portion of the engine (or cylinder). If not, go to the next cylinder, and then the next.... Note, it could be more than one area or more than one cylinder. Good luck.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Everything you have described here could be normal for a car that has been sitting for a long time.

In a properly operating engine large amounts of water are generated in the exhaust. Once the engine and exhaust is fully warmed up, you usually don't notice the water since it is invisable water vapor. When it is still cold, you will get water dropping out of the end of the tailpipe as well as any of the muffler drains. It is not uncommon for that water to have picked up a lot of soot from the inside of the pipes and mufflers.

Take the car out for a long road test and see what it is like after that. Actually, I wouldn't be concerned until it was back into normal service for SEVERAL DAYS.

You should also do an oil change in the very near future. I don't care how fresh it was before you stored the car.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
That sooty black liquid is normal if running rich from cold starts, should clear up with a good drive or even if you run it longer. Oil burning gives blue smoke. White steam, (not a billowing cloud of it though) is normal in the colder weather like I have, below 40 degrees...

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard