Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
conig Offline OP
OP Offline
C
On my new car 00 dodge dakota v8 I made my own custom fuel rail cooler, I talked to this guy that had made on and his made 15hp on the dyno and he showed me the graph.

what I did was unplug the line from the windsheild washer squirter and put a piece of fuel line on it, I ran it to some 3/8 copper pipe mounted flush to the top of the fuel rails, two on each rail all routed with vacuam/fuel line to all the copper pieces and back to the resovoir.

If more info is needed I'll check back in a couple of days, I have not dynoed it yet for myself but I can say it makes a noticable difference. if the engines heated up you'd be supprised how hot the rails get. put some ice in the resovoir and my rails went from almost too hot to touch to a nice cool water temp.
cooler fuel is denser fuel, or so I'm told.

98 silver frost SVT
custom built intake, offroad y-pipe,mystery mod,remote optimizer,short shifter,zex nitrous, lots of stereo, 17 konigs

with paradas.(bent) TOTALED do to freak electrical fire?(that started at a wireing harness ford neglected to tell me should have been recalled as they did with the 95se) I miss this car.

NEW PROFFESSION AS A TROLL.

new car. 2000 dodge dakota 4.7l v8. custombuilt intake, custom exhaust, kennebell pcm, and electric fan conversion, 180 stat, 3.55 pegleg, my old stereo system, 17x7 billets and 255-50 nitto 450 tires. next drop and traction adders. g-tech 14.5

in search of 95 se fivespeed to hang contourparts on.
T
T
I always thought this was only necessary for forced induction? confused

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
L
Lee Offline
L
Another easier way of making a cooler would be to solder on two pelter coolers to the rails. Then have a large heatsink with fans on top of that. It can run all the time and will get the fuel down to sub zero temps.

Hmm...Where did I put those pelters.

Lee Cox
In life begins responsability...
Project Car
T
T
Since the fuel inside the rails is still liquid, cooling it does not make it denser (ok, maybe minutely) since liquids are not very compressible.

That said, if the fuel is cooler, it will tend to make the air that it mixes with (after being injected) cooler as well. If there is a noticable difference (I'm guessing it will be negligable), that is why. Calculations would have to be done ....

Then you've got the question, does the fuel vaporize/atomize in the f/a mixtures easier or faster if it is warm since there is less energy to overcome regarding the heat of vaporization? And would this be advantageous?

I question your implementation. If heat from the engine is the culprit, why not just wrap the fuel line in insulating tape, then wrap that with a foil type material?
I think cooling the incoming air would have a better effect. My 2 cents.

Seth

Custom Recaro Seats, B&M, Battery Relocation

http://www.svtoa-semi.com
C
conig Offline OP
OP Offline
C

98 silver frost SVT
custom built intake, offroad y-pipe,mystery mod,remote optimizer,short shifter,zex nitrous, lots of stereo, 17 konigs

with paradas.(bent) TOTALED do to freak electrical fire?(that started at a wireing harness ford neglected to tell me should have been recalled as they did with the 95se) I miss this car.

new car. 2000 dodge dakota 4.7l v8. custombuilt intake, custom exhaust, kennebell pcm, and electric fan conversion, 180 stat, 3.55 pegleg, my old stereo system, 17x7 billets and 255-50 nitto 450 tires. next drop and traction adders. g-tech 14.5

C
conig Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have the rails and copper lines wraped in heat insulation and yes it makes a difference, why no clue but it does, the fuel rails used to be two hot to touch and after five minutes with my hand on them tere cool to the touch.

98 silver frost SVT

S
SVT Offline
S
Like Vapor Lock?!

Ryan
Toreador Red
1998 SVT #2843

"Performance in the hands of few"
Nitrous express just came out with a fuel rail/lower intake cooler. Intended for supercharged/turbocharged cars, instead of injecting the nitrous, it is pumped through a small tube. working similar to a purge valve, the tube allows the n2o to depressurize, causing it to boil from liquid to gas and thereby absorbing heat. Pretty neat, except its costly to fill up a n2o bottle just to cool the fuel.

Former owner of 1999 SVT Contour #555

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard