Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
This has happened twice now. I had let my car sit all day and the next day when I attempted to start it, nothing but a dead battery. Hooked up my jumper box and it started back up. I am wondering what could possibly be draining my battery. The amps for my system shut off when the deck shuts off so I don't think it could be that. I have a radar detector that is always plugged into my cig lighter and I don't think the little light it has could possibly drain the battery; it hasn't before. I have not touched the car with any mods or anything lately. Last week when this happened I disconnected the battery cables and reconnected them, thinking there was a bad or loose connection somewhere. Any ideas on what is causing this? TIA.

Champagne 1995 Ford Contour LX R.I.P. - 7/11/06 V6 2.5L 24v DOHC Oversized System
V
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
V
How old is the battery?

G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Oh yea, sorry for not saying that. The battery is about 6 months old. $90 Motorcraft Battery, 3 year warranty, 590CCA.

Champagne 1995 Ford Contour LX R.I.P. - 7/11/06 V6 2.5L 24v DOHC Oversized System
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Check battery voltage, car running, is 14 volts or above. If that's OK you could have something draining, check the dome lights above the rearview mirror, those are easy to leave on (some cars may not have these). The radar detector will drain the battery if it's cold weather, although newer stuff draws less power than my old Passport!

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Could also be the diodes in the alternator are shot.
Ensure all power accesories are off over night including radar detectors!

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
Check battery voltage, car running, is 14 volts or above. If that's OK you could have something draining, check the dome lights above the rearview mirror, those are easy to leave on (some cars may not have these). The radar detector will drain the battery if it's cold weather, although newer stuff draws less power than my old Passport!

Checked the battery voltage the first time this happened. Went up to 12 maybe 13 volts then towards the end of the test cycle (had it done at Advance Auto) the volts went down to 4-5.

The dome lights are off and have been. I have had my radar detector for 2-3 years now and it has never drained my battery, that I know of. It hasn't been very cold here but in the middle of winter I left it on all the time and my car still started in -40 weather. What are the diodes in the alternator? My dad doesn't think it can be the alternator. For awhile my subs have been popping at high volumes, prolly from lack of battery power. I am puzzled! More ideas please.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I had same problem but i added water (was really Low) and didnt drive it around or anything and it died right and left, Mine wouldnt even last though the day.

I put my old charger on it for 3-4 days to build the acid backup and after that it has worked great ever since.

on another note,

My bro had same issue with his old 2001 taurus, he had installed XM Radio himself, and the taurus has a very stupid radio in it (its actually in the trunk.) and we think(never checked) that he mis-wired it a bit. Because EVEN with the xm OFF it would die after 2days but he didnt have to worry about that since he drove it every day.

95 contour 2nd owner Miles: 98,800 Transmission: Automatic Engine: Zetec 4 Cylinder 2.0L Significant Problems: Wiring Harness (cracking!!)
G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Took the car to Ford today to get my battery checked out, thinking that maybe it was ythe battery that was bad. They tested it and the battery was good. I asked the service guy if it could be the alternator and he said it could be that the alternator is weak and over the day I let it sit it can't charge the battery over that time and it dies. I recall going to Advance Auto the first time this happened and the alternator tested good. I then thought it might be the starter but then I remember that that was tested as well and it tested good. Please help. Any other ideas?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Does your car have lights for the mirrors on the sunvisor. I had a problem with the lights not turning off and the car would die in a day without driving. Hard to notice in the day light. Look in the car at night for a glow coming from top side of the visors, leave the visors up while you are looking. Also check the trunk light, easy way to do this is leave the back seats down. Even a small light bulb can drain a new battery overnight.

Hope that helps.

G
G Stone Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by SVTGT350:
Does your car have lights for the mirrors on the sunvisor. I had a problem with the lights not turning off and the car would die in a day without driving. Hard to notice in the day light. Look in the car at night for a glow coming from top side of the visors, leave the visors up while you are looking. Also check the trunk light, easy way to do this is leave the back seats down. Even a small light bulb can drain a new battery overnight.

Hope that helps.

Its not the visors, those are shutting off. I'll be sure to check the trunk light and the hood light. Thanks for your insight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard