Next Thread
Print Thread
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
it will be well worth posting.

My buddy who works at a Ford dealer had a 98 Contour, 2.0 come in to the shop.

Parked it the other night, car ran great started it up in the morning, car ran like CRAP, NO power.

He checked, fuel pressure (KOEO, KOER), fuel volume, spark, wires, plugs, coil. He did a compression test, he scoped the cam and crank sensor, both produces a nice crisp signal. He did an cylinder balance test, he tested the injectors. He happened to have another 98 Contour, so he swapped the PCM between them, still ran like crap. He checked exhaust backpressure.

He calls me up, tells me whats going on. I'm like dang there isnt much more I can think of really.

he sats car starts fine, and idles perfect, but try to drive it, its not good.

Okay he decides to start somewhere, he says he is going to replace the crank sensor. He removes the sensor and finds metal shavings on it. Now he knows wait something isnt correct here.

What ended up happening was the flywheel broke, but not the normal way he said. Normally it breaks, and it makes a distinvt sound when you start up, not this one, this thing didnt make a peep.

Why did the car run like crap for you ask, because this car gets the crank sensor position using the flywheel teeth. So the flywheel was set back when it broke and the computer retarted timing.

Just a heads up if anyone ever runs into that.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Thanks Bob.

And welcome to Florida! When you get here, I'll buy you a drink!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Thanks Bob.

And welcome to Florida! When you get here, I'll buy you a drink!

Yeah, I will be there in mid October as I start my job November 1.
I'm moving to Jacksonville area, where abouts are you from?

V
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
V
would this ever happen to a 2.5?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I'm envious! Congrats!
What type of job is this?
I would love to be in Florida. My parents go there and rent a condo for two months a year.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
R
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by SquareHead:
I'm envious! Congrats!
What type of job is this?
I would love to be in Florida. My parents go there and rent a condo for two months a year.

I actually took a job at a car dealership as a technician. I'm sick of working for these independant shops and decided to try a dealership.
Plus I have been wanting to move out of the colder region for a few years now, and fianlly just said now is the time to do it.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard