Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
convert Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
All of the splash shields in place. Don't know where water is getting in. Sounds like a witch hunt....

Quote:

"At a minumum, I would cover up the MLPS, TSS and VSS by rigging a plastic sheet over it to prevent water from getting to it."

-- not sure how I would do this?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by convert:
Quote:

"At a minimum, I would cover up the MLPS, TSS and VSS by rigging a plastic sheet over it to prevent water from getting to it."

-- not sure how I would do this?

Cut a garbage bag up into three circles. For the VSS, cut a line along the radius of the circle. Then tape it with duct tape. For the TSS and MLPS, just tape over the sensor with the circles. Note that you can determine which is the culprit by doing it one by one (or tape two and leave one out). When it doesn't show the O/D light when wet (after taping the sensor), you found the culprit.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
C
convert Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
Thanks - I'll give it a try, can't hurt.

C
convert Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I ended up taking it back to the tranny shop and told them to fix the problem since the moisture issue was explained up front. He said he replaced the TSS again for the 3rd time, and now it seems to run fine. I ran it through a car wash and drove it on a rainy day, and all seems to run fine. He said he replaced it 2 times before and it would burn out. I can't understand how 2 of 3 TSS's would be bad. Maybe he did something different and isn't telling me.

I turned the wheels hard to the left and got down under the car to inspect the TSS. I see fraying on the wires leading to the harness. I would think that it would short out, but it's not. My first instinct would be to replace it, but I don't want to touch it at this point. Any suggestions?

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by convert:
I turned the wheels hard to the left and got down under the car to inspect the TSS. I see fraying on the wires leading to the harness. I would think that it would short out, but it's not. My first instinct would be to replace it, but I don't want to touch it at this point. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure, this is causing the short. Unfortunately, you are past the 10 yr/100k miles extended warranty for the wiring harness. You need to prevent water from getting to the wires. As you do not want to replace it, I would suggest electrical tape. Someone else might have better advice.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard