Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
864X4 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
So I purchased the cable and downloaded the software from Alex Pepper's OBD-2 website. Wow, it has a lot of information. Here is what I am trying to fix:
Very poor gas milage
DTC's of P0171 and P0174.

I have checked for Vacuum hose leaks, replaced fuel filter, I am getting 40 PSI at the fuel rail and sprayed MAF with intake cleaner twice. This past summer I had the engine torn apart to repair the #2 spark plug thread that striped out. I replaced the UIM and LIM gaskets when I put it back together torqued every thing to spec. However, a month after I did this, the UIM bolts had worked loose and were less than finger tight, so I torqued then back down to ~90 IN/LBS and the codes returned. I am going to do the UIM/LIM cleaning again this weekend and replace the UIM/LIM gaskets again as well.

What should I be looking for in the testing and data from the OBD software?

I have a KKM filter installed and an optomized Y-pipe.

1998 Contour SE V6 MTX-75 Mostly Stock 1986 Ranger V6 4X4, the only mod: weight reduction by rust.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Post the data when you can a stream or snap shot. The poor mileage is due to the PCM being in limp mode because of the codes.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The obd2 softwate isn't exactly what you need.

What you really need is a smoke/pressure test of the intake tract to pinpoint the vacuum leak.

The UIM/LIM gaskets along with the PCV valve/hose are your most likely bets.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
864X4 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
I did the UIM/LIM clean and gasket replacement today. Once I had the LIM off I found that the oil seporator was loose. So I tightened it and cleaned and replaced every thing. It ran pretty good afterwards. So I hope that was the problem. We will see if the codes return.

1998 Contour SE V6 MTX-75 Mostly Stock 1986 Ranger V6 4X4, the only mod: weight reduction by rust.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard