Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
I am in need of rear brake pads on my 98 svt contour so the other day i called ford and ordered a set of the motorcraft ones... So when i got them i looked them over and realised that on either side of each pad there is a hole. So i removed the old ones and the holes on them had a retaining clip on each and it was held on by a rivet which didnt look like u could remove it.

So after foolin around i had to put the old pads back on and put the car back together to drive it today. So today i went to advanced auto and bought a second set cuz i was gunna take the others back to ford later on today... well these pads are the same way so i took them back... Each pad has 2 holes on either corner of it that a retaining clip should be attached to... Is there something im missing here??? I called ford and they told me they gave me the correct pads...

What am i missing here??? What should i do??? Do i not need them retaining clips??? Im pretty sure i do and if i do how do i transfer the clips from the old pads to the new cuz they dont look like u can take them off... or do i have to buy the clips from ford and put them on the new pads before installing them??? let me know cuz i really wanna put these new ones on asap... if u guys dont follow me i guess i can snap some pics just let me know...

thanks
jason

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Are you talking about the 'tits' on the back of the pads?

Ryan Trollin!
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
im not sure.... what im talkin about is if u pull ur pads off each side has 2 pads rite... well on each pad there is 2 metal things that are on either end of the pad... these clips are held in by some sort of a rivet or something... my new pads if u look at them laying flat on the ground on each end there is a small hole drilled out i'd say about maybe a 1/4" or so... thats what im talking about... do u follow

jason

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Take a picture and post.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Alright i will do that tonight... I know i've seen on the net somewhere of a diagram type deal of the rear breaks but i cant seem to find it any where... Anyone got a link??? What i mean is like u go to ford and they will print you off a diagram of just about any section of the car that ur working on and it will show u all the parts down to the nuts and bolts and it will give u part numbers as well... I'll keep trying to find it and if i cant i'll snap a pic...

jason

J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Alright guys heres what im talkin about

In this picture below i know its small sorry but u can get the idea... The yellow dots represent a hole that is drilled out of the metal part of the pad the whole way through... There is 2 holes on each pad... I'd say its no more then 1/4" hole i think... Now on the pads that are currently on my car that are worn at each of the holes there is a retaining clip that is held on with a rivet of some sort that is pushed into that hole... do u guys understand what im talking about now???

jason

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I don't recall there being a retaining clip on the rear pads, but then again its been awhile.

Ryan Trollin!
K
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
K
Actually, I just recently have changed rear pads and holes are in the same place as you show on the pic. The funny thing is I sat there 10 min looking for the retaining clip that might have fallen off while I was removing the pads. But, the originals that I have taken off actually didn't even have retaining clips or anything else, just the pad. Not sure anything goes there, maybe just there for some other models/year contour. The funny thing is that the pads for SVT are same as the pads from a standard contour. So maybe the standard contour has those retaining clips that go through those holes. I slapped mine on without the clips and they work fine.

J
JayNHL Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Does this sound right guys should i really install these with out the clips attached to them??? Wont they rub my rotors and prolly hurt my gas milage and prolly wear 10x's faster?? let me know

jason

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard