Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1518108 03/04/06 06:47 PM
D
Dirk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well it finally happened. I blew the engine in my 2000 Contour SVT at 104,000 miles.

Ford says it will be $4,800 for a new installed motor. I simply can't put that kind of change into the car.

Question is.. what should I do with this car. Should I try to sell it? Or should I put it in my workshop and maybe look at putting in a 3.0 upgrade?

Some guys at the ford garage said they might be interested in buying it as is.. what would be a good price??

Any help is appreciated!

Dirk

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
From what I know, you can have a 3.0L put in for less than that. Look around the 3.0L Duratec area for more info on that. That really sucks though...My Merc just bled to death....

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Simplest, find a used engine, most durable the 3.0 swap. You could try to sell it at the ceg classifieds, see what the will offer.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Trollomatic, what happened, did you lose all the oil in the engine or trans?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
See if you can find a 3.0 Do you have the skills to do the swap yourself?
It might be easier to find a normal Duratech for the time being.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
D
Dirk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My neighbor is a mechanic and he said he could put an engine in for me and not charge me very much. I showed him the 3.0 swap info and he seems excited about doing it. So, I'm thinking I might go this way.

D
Dirk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It was strange. I'd just had the oil changed about 5 weeks ago and my wife told me the oil light came on when she went through one of those sweeping right turns that the SVT is famous for.

She simply added 1 quart of oil on her way home but told me it was making a "funny" sound that didn't go away after adding the oil. I went out and checked the oil, and it was still down nearly 3 quarts! Did an oil change topped it off but the noise just got worse and worse until it sounded like a spoon beating on a tin can. That's the point I pulled it over and had it taken to the my Ford SVT service car.

The strange thing is that I've never never experienced oil loss llike that ever. since around 60,000 miles it would sometimes be down a half to 1 quart and oil change time. There was no visual sign of oil loss either on the drive way or from emmission... It's just sad.. I loved driving this car!

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Dirk:
...She simply added 1 quart of oil on her way home but told me it was making a "funny" sound that didn't go away after adding the oil. I went out and checked the oil, and it was still down nearly 3 quarts! ...

Down 4 quarts (= 2 quarts in the engine on a left turn)

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard