Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Plenty of better places than Cancun for a honeymoon IMO. Cancun seemed more like party hard central to me but I was there for spring break.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
We were pretty strapped for money since we had to pay for our wedding ourselves and I was still in graduate school(and Cancun was cheap). We stayed at the Hyatt Cancun and it was nice.It was festive, but we were young and that is what we wanted. I also want to go to Paradise Island in the Bahamas, I hear that it is also incredible. We are taking my daughter to the beach in a couple of weeks since she has never been (she is 6).This is were we are going and I'll let ya'll know how it was.

www.port-royal.com

Here is a pic from a couple of months ago in Grand Cayman. The stingrays were so tame they would swim up to you and eat squid out of you hand.

Last edited by TexasRealtor; 03/02/06 04:40 PM.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Andy W.:
USVI, St. John was beautiful and laid back. Plenty of great places to eat. Stayed at Gallows Point, price way good place was very convenient to down town and had a great honeymoon package. All inclusive not necessary because downtown and everything you need is a five min walk away. St Thomas has tons of great shopping.

Anyway have fun. Sorry I'm no help on your island.

-Andy

w3rd. went to st. john for our honeymoon last april; stayed in a little villa way up on a hill overlooking coral bay. i highly recommend it - we went through windspree as the property manager and rented the "sun moon & stars" villa, which doesn't appear to be showing up on their current property listings...oh well. awesome experience. rented a jeep wrangler for the week and drove all over the island.... beautiful scenery, great food, perfect weather, relaxed pace, completely safe....good times, good times.

no experience w/ jamaica, though...

blake --former CSVT owner-- MINE: 2002 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 - stone white/taupe HERS: 2005 acura TL 5AT non-navi - satin silver/quartz GARAGE ORNAMENT: 1962 chevy C10 fleetside pickup - tan/rust
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by todras:
This is the one you want.

http://www.sandals.com/main/grande/gl-home.cfm

We are going down to St. Lucia for our honeymoon in May. We are staying at the Regency though. Doesn't really matter though since you can go to any of the 3 resorts on St. Lucia. I definitely can't wait to get down there.

2001 Volvo S40-Perrin MBC@ 11psi, EST intake, 35% tint, still slow
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Yeah the Regency was great as well. especially if your in a bluff suite. I would avoid the Halcyon. it was really small, cramped pool, etc..
If you like scuba diving "supermans flight" is awesome.. its a dive where you go about 80' down right at the base of the large Piton. the current moves you right around the base of the mountain at about 5mph and you just relax and glide.. our divemaster was picking up Conk shells and passing them around.. awesome experience.

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
Yeah the Regency was great as well. especially if your in a bluff suite. I would avoid the Halcyon. it was really small, cramped pool, etc..
If you like scuba diving "supermans flight" is awesome.. its a dive where you go about 80' down right at the base of the large Piton. the current moves you right around the base of the mountain at about 5mph and you just relax and glide.. our divemaster was picking up Conk shells and passing them around.. awesome experience.

We have the oceanfront honeymoon room with private plunge pool, butler service and oceanview. So I am hoping it will be fun. There have been a lot of people who have complained about construction and whatnot. I am not going to get too worried though.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I've been to Jamaica three times, now at least. I've stayed at Montego Bay, but it was at Jack Tar. Then a Beaches in Negril, and recently at the brand new Sandals Whitehouse resort on the south side--it's a very quiet and undeveloped area. I think we had a cruise stop there once before all that, so that's actually 4 times.

Yeah, it's a 3rd world country of a sort, but I've been mostly impressed with the locals--hard working, hospitable, and proud people, and a "real" culture. Yeah, I've had guys try to sell me pot in the marketplace, but what do you expect? I wouldn't wander downtown at night by myself, but I wouldn't do that in most American cities, either. Watch your back, no matter where you are.

Check out the south side of the island. Shopping trips are a bit of a hike, but it is quiet--although still plenty to do/eat/drink.

Every time my wife and I look into other places, we end up back at Jamaica based largely on price and because our experiences there have been very positive. I've been to Cayman, too, and it just seemed like a sterile tourist trap full of bankers. Jamaica is real.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Thanks for the tips guys and gals!!

We are now officially off to St. Lucia! Booked at the Regency, which according to my Travel Agent is a step above the Grande for a special price! I hope to have a new camera by then, and I hope to get some amazing sunset (doubt I'll be awake to see any sunrises, but we'll see).

What kind of stuff shoudl I plan on stocking uup on while not paying duty? Can I get Cuban cigars there? Alcohol? Jewlery?

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
If you're divers, go to Grand Cayman (Little or Brac too). The best carribean diving! Clear water, huge walls and stingray city. Stay anywhere but 7 Mile beach; touristy, busy and crowded. Besides, its a honeymoon; I'm sure you'll have plenty to do. Rum Point is very serene, beautiful and quiet. A thatched roof bar on the sand with 2 person hammocks in the coastline palms...

If you are 'active' try Costa Rica. The rafting, horseback riding, rain-forest canopy and watersports are top notch.

If you're not particular, look hard at the Bahamas, BVI, USVI, Nevis or Aruba. IMHO, the problem there was a fluke incident, and I think you may find some good deals as their tourism has taken a hit.

Have fun,

Mark

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Eric L:
Thanks for the tips guys and gals!!

We are now officially off to St. Lucia! Booked at the Regency, which according to my Travel Agent is a step above the Grande for a special price! I hope to have a new camera by then, and I hope to get some amazing sunset (doubt I'll be awake to see any sunrises, but we'll see).

What kind of stuff shoudl I plan on stocking uup on while not paying duty? Can I get Cuban cigars there? Alcohol? Jewlery?

AWESOME!!!Let me know how it is and send me some pics of the hotel and whatnot if you have a camera by then. We will be staying at the Regency in May in one of the honeymoon rooms with private plunge pool and an oceanview.

(Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay and what type of room did y ou get? You can PM me if you don't want to post it.)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard