Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Interesting problem I had a couple of days ago when it was pretty cold. Car normally starts perfectly..

Push the clutch in, turn the ignition, and it sounds like the starter is turning, but the engine won't crank. Not a pretty sound.

Kept trying, and it then started when I gave it quite a bit of gas.

Ideas of what may cause this?

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Maybe it was cranking very fast (no compression) and you did not realize that was happening.

Originally posted by Big Jim:
Is there a chance that the engine has flooded and that the rings have washed out? When this happens, the engine will crank extremely fast from the lack of compression, similar to a broken timing belt or a jumped timing chain.

Sometimes the cure is as simple as cranking while holding the throttle wide open (turns off the injectors). In extreme cases, you may need to pull the front three spark plugs and squirt a little oil in the cylinders to regain compression. If you do this, the engine will run a bit rough when it does start until the oil is blown out and the rear cylinders regain compression. It usually only takes a minute or two.

This doesn't happen all that often, but it is more likely to happen as the weather get colder. It usually happens from a cold start with a shut down almost as soon as it is started, such as start up in the garage, shut down in the driveway after backing out, then trying to restart a few hours later. Actually it can happen with a short time before trying to start again as well.

This is the beginning of the season that we start getting questions about this.

Last edited by Tony2005; 02/23/06 05:22 PM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Or the bendix was not engaging and the starter was freespinning?

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Mine was doing the same thing. One day it would start fine, another it wouldn't start at all. Replaced the Crank sensor, runs smoother, no starting problems.

Cheap part to start at. pain in the ars to install. I removed the headlight and had extensions and moved the belt out of the way. took about 15 mins.

Brian W.
--------------------
Black 1998 SE 5 speed - TOTALLED
N
Nate S Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Interesting.

Car threw a P0340 code (camshaft position sensor) two weeks ago. Seems to do it after I take it through the car wash. However, the code goes away within a couple of days, so I didn't replace the sensor. Related?

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Nate S:
Interesting.

Car threw a P0340 code (camshaft position sensor) two weeks ago. Seems to do it after I take it through the car wash. However, the code goes away within a couple of days, so I didn't replace the sensor. Related?

Maybe coincidental to your no start condition. But it sure sounds like the code is related to the car wash. I suggest that you check the connector or wiring as water may be getting in there.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
check for cracks and shorts in the crank sensor harness, i had a sim. problem this summer, ended finding that the harness got to close the serp belt and cut one of the wires in half

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard