Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
First off, I did search and think I know what Im looking for but I just wanted to verify before I go buy plugs later today. I picked up a set of 8.5mm Magnecor wires yesterday! Anyway are these the correct plugs:

*Autolit XP104- Double Plat, fine wire- The best but expensive/hard to find?
*Motorcraft AWSF32PP / Autolite APP764- "old style" double plat- These should work fine in any year Tour/SVT? Best choice for cost vs performance vs reliability?
*Motorcraft AGSGF32FM- Fine wire, Single plat

There was also something mentioned about a thinner "EE" plug as well. So out of the plugs Ive listed, are they in the correct order of desirability? When I did my UIM/LIM cleaning this past summer I put in copper plugs (should have checked here first!!!) and now (8k miles later) it runs like a steaming pile of poo, plus there are almost 80k miles on the OEM wires. I just want to make sure I do it right this time! TIA

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
APP764

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The double plat fine wire should be good, but I haven't seen any tests.

The fine wire are theoretically better for performance.

The old double plat work great, and I have yet to hear of any problems with them, or anyone not getting wonderful lifespan from them. I run them and they look perfect after 20k. My single-plats had burned one bank a significant amount after 20k.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
You really don't need to keep researching this. The Autolite APP764 works great and has been tested over time by many here at CEG. There is really no need to keep looking.

The factory fine wire plug works OK, but a double plat will work better. The XP104 Autolite may turn out to be good, and I may try it next time if the price come down.

About price, I think it was the Kragen ad last Sunday that had a sizable discount and brought the Autolite double plats down to IIRC $2.99 a plug. That should seal the deal.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
L
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
L
Thanks everyone I bought the APP764's today, but paid $3.89 each at Autozone. I installed them along with the new Magnecor wires and what a huuuuuuuuuge difference!!!

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
XP104 Plugs work great.

Found them at Autozone.
Around $4-5 bucks each

The Drake Equation States: N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L Meaning That There Is A Good Chance That We Are Not Alone.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by N2EAL:
XP104 Plugs work great.

Interesting... Keep us updated on how they last. They should be good for more power (if only slightly) in some applications, and if they last as long as the double-plats, that's a win-win.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
i too will be running the xp104's come march.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
There is no additional power to be found from a spark plug.

All it can do is restore power that was lost from worn out plugs....

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
A spark plug that conceals the spark with electrodes, such as a Bosch +4, will not work as well as a plug that exposes it. The greater the surface area of the spark, the better the ignition. The theory is that this will give more power, especially in high-compression engines. I've seen a lot of test data, and there might be something to it - but until someone runs a test on a Contour with back-to-back dyno runs swapping new, properly gapped plugs, I won't go so far as to say there's any power to be gained in this engine from the fine-wire. I've seen compelling evidence in other cars running various plugs, so I will say that a good plug seems to often give a little power boost - but it may be due to a factor that's not important in our car.

Link Copied to Clipboard