Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Ok guys, I'll give you a rundown of what happened first, so you aren't confused and you can give better solutions.

In December, my timing belt snapped. Got it fixed, it ran perfectly when the belt was put back on, idled fine, etc. When I drove it home, it was fine until the hill right before my turn. It was acting like it had no power, stumbling, whatever you want to call it. Figures, given my luck with cars. Anyways, it would still start at that point, albeit with almost no power, really rough idle, etc. Well, changed the plugs the next day, number one looked like it was soaked in oil, but it didn't smell like oil, smelled like gas. Well, finished putting the plugs in, didn't fix the problem. So I figured, well maybe it's the plug wires? I took it home (and it still started and drove back over here, about 5 miles), and parked it. The next day, I tried to start the car, nothing. It's trying to turn over, but won't go any further than cranking over. It sounds like it's trying to fire, but no fire, you know what I mean? Anyways, went and got wires, put them in, and still, won't start. Now I'm lost and trying to figure out what the hell is going on with it. Could the belt have slipped off? Is it the coil? Something else that I'd not thought about? Please help guys, I have some money right now to get it fixed, but I need my car back. The truck that I borrowed from the family isn't exactly nice on gas (86 F-250 5.0 ATX).

BTW, my car is a 1998 GL Zetec 2.0, 141k, ATX, and the check engine light has been on since the belt snapped in december.

Morgan

1998 Contour GL 2.0L Zetec Stock as hell for the moment....
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Smorganin:
In December, my timing belt snapped. Got it fixed

Did you have the idler and tensioner replaced???
If not, you will have to recheck the belt.

If you cannot move the car, get a code scanner and post the codes.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
If you have a CEL on, get the codes pulled and post back.

95 Contour GL. Bought new. BAT Sway Bars/Pioneer CD/Koni Rear Struts/Mobil Fluids. Looking for 15" alloy rims-PM me. 180,500km's so far.
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I'm pretty certain he replaced the tensioner, so I don't think that's the problem. Where can I get a hold of a code scanner? Yeah, it's not starting, so I can't get it anywhere to get that done. Any ideas though? Thanks for the replies so far.

Morgan

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
A basic OBD-II scanner is available from Wal-Mart for about $65. A more capable unit sells for $100.

Check with your local AutoZone to see if they can "loan" a scanner. You'd have to pay for it and get a refund upon return if they will do it.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I'll check with AutoZone first, I don't have that kind of cash to be spending. I'll let you guys know when I find out more.

Morgan

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard